Mushy Peas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodhutt

Established Member
Reaction score
I went shopping at the local supermarket yesterday for the first time since lock down.
Wandering through the 'International' section, I spotted a tin of Bachelors Mushy Peas (the UK's contribution to international cuisine :) ) and thought they'd go well with some fish and chips.
On getting home and inspecting the label, I saw that I was in with a chance to win a trip to New Zealand.
I'll send my entry off today.
Pete

I had mushy peas fish and chips yesterday! Ages since I've had them, and I had forgotten how good they were!

*Food of the gods.
*Only surpassed by a wigan kebab and smack.

Note * Neither are true but both are still jolly fine.

On holiday in Lancashire I had a local delicacy of hot pork pie with mushy peas and mint sauce and was hooked. Even now when I have mushy peas with fish and chips I splash the mint sauce.

Regards Keith

If you win the trip it has to be the cheapest holiday ever.
Just how many cans of mushy peas do they have to sell to make this a financially viable offer? 26p a tin, or thereabouts, it must be millions.

But I'm in :)

woodhutt":2qoy3xwf said:
I went shopping at the local supermarket yesterday for the first time since lock down.
Wandering through the 'International' section, I spotted a tin of Bachelors Mushy Peas (the UK's contribution to international cuisine :) ) and thought they'd go well with some fish and chips.
On getting home and inspecting the label, I saw that I was in with a chance to win a trip to New Zealand.
I'll send my entry off today.
Pete
If you win can I have it in case you have been to New Zealand already? :D

Second prize two trips to New Zealand

:wink: :D

Pete

Woodchips2":3v1ab1sd said:
On holiday in Lancashire I had a local delicacy of hot pork pie with mushy peas and mint sauce and was hooked. Even now when I have mushy peas with fish and chips I splash the mint sauce.

Regards Keith

That sounds delicious! I've been making my own pork and Gala pies during lock down but never considered mushies to go with them.

To the kitchen!!
Pete

Joe got a job at the zoo.

His first job was to clean out the fish pond, so he netted out all the fish, laid them out on the bank and cleaned the pond. But by the time he'd finished the fish were all dead.

"Oh dear", thought Joe, "What do I do now? I know, I'll feed them to the lions, because they'll eat anything."

His next job was to clean out the chimpanzee cage, but they didn't like strangers and started to attack him. So he defended himself with his shovel until they were all dead.

"Oh dear", thought Joe, "What do I do now? I know, I'll feed them to the lions, because they'll eat anything."

Then he was supposed to collect the honey from the special-breed bees, but they tried to sting him So he kept bashing them with his shovel until they were beaten to a pulp.

That evening a new lion came to the zoo. "Hello, everybody, I'm Lenny."

"Welcome Lenny," said the other lions.

"What's the food like here?", asked Lenny.

"Oh, it's great", came the reply, "Today we have had Fish, Chimps and Mushy Bees!"

It's bedtime.

Inspector said:
These mushy peas. Are they pureed or just kind of mashed and are they spiced or bland? Never seen or heard of them.

Pete

Ah! You've opened a can of worm... er, peas there Inspector.
The best results come from using a particular variety of pea known as Marrowfat. If the dried variety is used (best IMHO) these should be soaked overnight in water with a bicarb of soda added.
Here's a link;
/url]
Pete

Sounds a little like the Brit version of Mexican refried beens. Gotta grow up with them to love them. :wink:

Pete
A man that likes his peas fresh off the vine. =P~

Inspector":2iq7g8ty said:
Sounds a little like the Brit version of Mexican refried beens. Gotta grow up with them to love them. :wink:

Pete

You're probably right, Pete. It's a reflection of the North/South divide in the UK. Where you have the Mason Dixon Line, we have 'North of the Watford Gap'.
Mushy peas are probably the Brit equivalent of Tex/Mex. :)
Pete

Wrong border. I’m Canadian. ;) It’s been a very long time since I took American history so those details are kind of hard to relate to. Actually probably had 4 times as much British history. Maybe the French Canadian poutine (chips, cheese curds and gravy) would fit us better. :)

Pete

Inspector":2mib7utj said:

Pete

I like my peas fresh off the wine :roll:

Three cans of Batchelors mushy peas for a quid in Farmfoods. I keep a can in because I object to paying 80p - £1 per portion in a F&C shop for something they tip out of a tin. :D
I didn't see any in NZ, and I ate dozens of portions of fush'n'chups over seven weeks there. Good they were, too.

Has anyone else noticed what eating tinned mushy peas do to your pee (yes I spelt that correctly).

I remember getting some really odd looks one night at work when I went to the loo after eating a very large portion of beetroot. :D
Apparently (U.S.) life rafts used to have tinned asparagus in the emergency rations along with fishing lines. It produces mercaptan in the urine which attracts fish.

Back