• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Mushroom/ Fungi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Distinterior

Established Member
Reaction score
A bit of a long shot here Gents but maybe someone may be able to tell me what I have found growing in my planter in the garden.

I built the planter about 10 years ago over the spot where a large evergreen fir tree stood. The tree was really big and it dominated the garden, so I cut it down.

Over the years, we have tipped our grass cuttings in there on the odd occasion and then added bags of compost.

About 4 weeks ago, I spotted a couple of what you see in the pictures below, growing in a couple of places within the planter.
Since then, the initial ones seemed to die back but in the last couple of days a load more have appeared, almost double the original amount.
The brick is to show scale.

Does anyone know what they may be or if they are harmful..? (I have 2 cats that do go up on the planter)

The only 2 things that I have growing in the planter are a White Grape Vine and, unusually, an indoor plant that has done really well whilst planted here.
I have not introduced anything new into the planter recently that has not been put in there for years....

20201025_103454.jpg
20201025_103508.jpg
20201025_103526.jpg

Nigel Burden

Established Member
Reaction score
Shaggy Parasol macrolepiota rachodes is known to grow on compost heaps and planters and also in woodland. The fungus will show reddish brown staining of the flesh where cut or bruised. The Parasol Mushroom macrolepiota procera which grows primarily in grassland and is taller.

Nigel.