Multitool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thin, not sharp blade gently gets behing them (or the fixative) and releases from the plaster (plasterboard). No need for a brute force hammer / chisel unless you intend to replaster the room.
You have the more gentle approach of a tradesman or the brute force approach of the builder with his oversized hammer drill where afterwards the house needs rebuilding!

I have some kitchen wall tiles to remove. They measure 8 inches x4 inches and quite thin. Wondered if a multitool would help in removal?
As said previously be aware if chips and splinters. Also depending on the adhesive used you might be able to use a wallpaper steamer to help remove some of the lumps left after tile removal.

Does that actually work? I can't envisage how the steam gets behind the tile. It's not like wallpaper that you can score before steaming.
I'm curious as a retirement job is renovating the bathroom at home. May well be waterproof adhesive.
Steve
Steve,
I've done this in the past on a kitchen refurb. An old tiler told me about it.

Does that actually work? I can't envisage how the steam gets behind the tile. It's not like wallpaper that you can score before steaming.
I'm curious as a retirement job is renovating the bathroom at home. May well be waterproof adhesive.
Steve
The steam softens adhesive left on the wall but you need to get the vast majority of the tiles off first. If great lumps of plaster come off the walls with the tiles it doesn’t help at all. 😀

I think if you buy a good quality multitool you will find many uses for it once you've realised how bloody long it takes to get the tiles off and have reverted to hammer and chisel/sds and chisel.

Buy the tool, they're ace. I just replaced my cheapo Aldi multitool with a milwaukee one.

D

Eye protection an absolute must.
I used cold chisels to get behind tiles and lever them off. As you lever it the tile will flex minutely, but the glaze won't, and you will get fine splinters of glaze flying off from where the tile breaks. They are razor sharp and you don't want one in your eye.

Adhesive are a mystery some, some will justvscrape off the wall, some need wetting, and some simply bring up great chunks of the floor or wall with them.

If you’re retiling you don’t need to remove the tiles if you use some of the tile adhesive which are designed for use over tiled surfaces.

Back