Multitool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Fein and it is absolutely bullet proof. I have had it for many years and it has never let me down. There are adaptors for a couple of pounds that allow the use of different manufacturers blades. my Fein has the quick blade release system so no allen key required.

Go Here for a tear down and review by a very funny but knowledgeable guy

I've got a corded Fein, the lead is generous compared to every other corded powertool I've ever owned. It has its own hard carry case with two easy access boxes for blades etc. It's one of my most favoured tools and I love finding new ways to use it.
As for replacement blades, I buy bulk cheapies.
Fein was the company that invented the multitool and they hardly sold any while they owned the patent, when they stopped renewing it and they had competition, all of a sudden the demand grew, probably because the price dropped. But Fein still produce the best version (in my opinion)

I have a Fein and it is absolutely bullet proof. I have had it for many years and it has never let me down. There are adaptors for a couple of pounds that allow the use of different manufacturers blades. my Fein has the quick blade release system so no allen key required.

Go Here for a tear down and review by a very funny but knowledgeable guy
Ha ha , skookum. I watch aVe too, always funny and informative. I am on my 3rd fein multimaster. My original had the Allen key, the second the lever, my newest one lever but no starlock. Each has been an improvement over the last.
They last 10 years and I used to use them for cutting and sanding all day.
My newest one will last me forever because I am using it way less these days.

Ollie

Hi happy new year to all. I am after a multitool any info gladly received.
I've read lots of recommendations for established brands ie Malta, Felt etc. Look at what you need to achieve. For example, multi tools are the only tool that you can use to remove a section of a skirting board without making saw marks on the wall. The blade will follow a square line easily. I wear gloves when using mine to steadying blade. I purchased mine from Aldi, it is their own make, cost £39.00, it is noisy but so what. I have had it 18 months and it has never put a foot wrong. I used it on several projects at home, my children borrow it for their projects, we just have to purchase new blades.
I read a lot about quick release and the question, unless you are on a bonus scheme and time is of the essence, an Allen fitment is fine. I'm in the process of purchasing Efbauer 18v cordless tools and will buy an Erbauer cordless multi tool when my current one breaks. If you are using it every day then buy a basic well known brand, having said that Aldi own brands have a 3 year guarantee!!

I bought a 25 quid one on a whim from Aldi - and almost immediately found jobs for it to do.

I hadn't used one before, so have no point of reference for comparison, but I have been very pleased for such a budget purchase. It has cut through softwood pretty quickly and tidily. Haven't tried it on hardwood.

It also has a tool-less blade change (you pull up a lever, rather than needing an allen key etc).

Fein. I used to say they were the best. But I have had two 350Q corded fail on me. The first lasted 3 years before the motor armature burnt out and the second failed inside 2 months. The first was repaired and lasted two months. The second (to replace the failed one) was repaired and failed again almost straight away and was returned for refund.

Now I have a corded Festool Vecturo. This is based on the Fein industrial design (and I believe is made by Fein). This has been bomb proof. It has been used a great deal. When I can justify the spend in these difficult times I will buy a cordless version.

I've also briefly had a Makita one. I returned it the same weekend as the lack of quick blade release was too annoying. Anything without star lock will get on your nerves if you use it a lot.

Friends have tried the cheaper ones ex Aldi etc. Totally fine for softwoods etc. Hopeless for heavy duty work on hardwoods, cutting tiles around electrical sockets, snipping off nails etc. Just depends what you need it for. Invaluable tool in my armoury.

I've got a cordless Fein and it's a big step up from my old Bosch

If anyone's after a decent cordless there's the new version of the DeWalt, the DCS356 (replaces the DCS355), on introductory offer at Toolstation - couple of pence under £200 for the tool, a 5Ah battery, charger, some blades, depth stop and a case

https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-18v-xr-oscillating-multi-tool-3-speed/p59706

Hi,

I bought the corded Fein a few years ago and hardly use it but when needed it's needed badly.

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/fe...I-AGCPPNUIGyhXvpsENxkw8IxYueiovBoCWl4QAvD_BwE

Blade changing is fun; the small lever is as fierce as an alligator's jaws; it doesn't half snap closed; beware any finger in its way apart from this I think I bought the best and for my little use it'll last a lifetime.

I had seen the Fein online at £200 but wanted to support our local stockist Timothy Woods so paid a visit taking along £220. The Fein boxes were neatly stacked by the counter and the price for the identical kit there was £240; I explained I had £220 on me; mine was delivered the next day at £200 including next day delivery from online. Now I just buy online saving all the hassle.

Kind regards, Colin.

I had the opportunity to speak directly with Fein's technical development lab a few years back. They went into some depth about the oscillation principle of their tool and were quite (understandably) content that despite the copies out there, their competitors were still not getting the whole arc and vibration aspect of the tool.
They do indeed build Festool's Vecturo under an agreement. That has to tell you something about the tech if Festool would rather use and licence it than back-engineer it.
I've had a 350Q for a number of years without issue but then I'm not hammering it. If I had to replace it, I'd happily repurchase its Fein equivalent but would also be looking at the Festool before pushing the button as the Festool dust collection looks like a better setup. The one thing I hate about multitools and more than the vibration is the level and fineness of the dust.

I think the easiest decision is cordless or corded. If the former go with the battery platform you already have.
Not for me, I won't buy something I feel is inferior just to stick with a battery platform - virtually every cordless tool I have is Makita (and I have quite a few along with about a dozen batteries) but if I don't like the look/feel of a Makita tool, I'll buy something else. e.g. I bought the Fein AMM700 cordless Multimaster because, having tried both, it's got a lot more power than the Makita with less vibration.

I've got the dewalt 18v, can't fault it (DIY use), It has easily interchangable blades with a quick release, and the speed is controlled from the trigger, so very much grab and go, it was an expensive item for the amount of use it gets, but there have been plenty of jobs that I couldn't have done without it.

I'm on the 18v Makita and it's a bit of a noise but ear defenders solve that for me.
One of the remarkable things I've found it invaluable for is removing glazing units and in a similar vein the removal of rock hard putty especially if the glass needs to stay in and cannot be heated.
The putty trick does involve going sideways with a re-ground square edge blade, which I dare say is not recommended.

I need one for regular trade use and the Fein corded one I tried first, while it soon became a vital tool, wasn't man enough for the job and the blade constantly worked loose. That was a few years back so they're probably better now. I now have two Makita 18v cordless ones with quick-change blade i.e. no Allen key. (Two because they soon get hot with heavy use which doesn't do them any good). If they last two years before replacement I consider they've earned their keep. I'd go for Makita again, but that's partly because I've got other 4 other Makita cordless tools so the batteries are interchangeable. If I wanted one for occasional use I'd go for something costing a lot less, probably a corded one. There are few things more irritating than 4 or 5 cables trailing across the floor getting tangled up when you're continually having to switch from drill to multisaw to circular saw to sander and back again.

I'm on the 18v Makita and it's a bit of a noise but ear defenders solve that for me.
One of the remarkable things I've found it invaluable for is removing glazing units and in a similar vein the removal of rock hard putty especially if the glass needs to stay in and cannot be heated.
The putty trick does involve going sideways with a re-ground square edge blade, which I dare say is not recommended.

I've found my 18v Makitas useful for old putty too, but I don't bother grinding a square edge - just use blades which have got too blunt for neat cuts in wood.

I've found my 18v Makitas useful for old putty too, but I don't bother grinding a square edge - just use blades which have got too blunt for neat cuts in wood.
Yes, but I'm going left n right with the side's of the cutter and for me the freshly squared edges attack the putty better, until it wears again. This was especially useful when I had to clean off over a 100 years of solid over puttying and paint on the inside of this caked up fanlight.
I hold it at an angle to the work and "backfeed" over the unworked surface.
Cheers Andy
IMG_20200929_131649.jpg
IMG_20200930_113909.jpg
IMG_20200930_191000.jpg

Anyone ever tried undercutting a length (2 meters or so) of fixed skirting with one to install a floor? Working on a very old house at the moment and we ripped one of the tall hardwood skirting boards off and have caused ourselves lots of damage to the plaster - we won't be doing that on the other side (it's just not worth the hassle). Is it possible to get a good finish with a miltitool to accommodate this?

Back