Multiplanes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you experts out there know how to use the narrowest (1/8 inch and 3/16 inch) cutters on either the Stanley 45 or Record 405? The problem is that the total thickness of the two sides of either plane is greater than the width of these cutters, and there doesn’t seem to be any way of holding them in place with only one side. I’ve got the instruction book for the 405, which doesn’t help, neither does “Planecraft”, the Record book from the (?) 1950s. The instructions for the 45 suggest that there is a special bolt that can be used, but if there is one, it got lost from mine by a previous owner.
(OK, I can always use a 1/8” bit in my E** 96 r****r, but dust-free silence is nice)

Dick,

The cutter clamp should hold the iron just fine; the other skate doesn't really function as a blade holder so much on the #45 or #405. It's only the #50 & #050 that needs an additional clamp or bolt IIRC. Having said all that I've never actually used the narrow cutters in the #45 or the #405 'cos I use the #043 for the narrow grooves, so I'll go out and check just to be sure.

Cheers, Alf

Dick, from memory, as I do not have my 405 in front of me. Isn't the cutter held in place by a wing nut on the side of the main stock that turns a cam that bears down on the cutter about half way up? I am sure I have used the 1/8" cutter this way,

Andy

dedee":2ky4084w said:
I am sure I have used the 1/8" cutter this way,

Andy
This proves it. I think

DSCN2495.jpg

Alf":sy5026q4 said:
Dick,

It's only he #50 & #050 that needs an additional clamp or bolt IIRC. Having said all that I've never actually used the narrow cutters in the #45 or the #405 'cos I use the #043 for the narrow grooves, so I'll go out and check just to be sure.

Cheers, Alf
Thanks for that, Alf. I’d made a mistake - my Stanley is actually a 50, not a 45. And yes, I have used the 405 with just the one cheek, relying on the pinch wedge, but it doesn’t work very well, so I’d wondered if there was any better answer.

Back