Multico PM22T Mortiser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard.selwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to buy a hollow chisel mortiser to build some barn doors for a client. I now work in France and have found that the Multico is now made over here and it seems from the info available to be a high quality machine. But it is hugely expensive and I cannot get to see one in the metal. Before taking the plunge I would be grateful for any help anyone can offer. I can buy a made in China machine for much less - probably by collecting it in the UK as prices in France for everything in the tool line seem higher. I have promised the doors before Christmas so I need to stop dithering.

Thank you in advance;
Richard.

Richard,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not exactly sure what help you are looking for but I guess it's advice. A previous thread here https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 308#104308 discussed the topic.

I have a small Multico (the 16) and can confirm it is solid and well made and does the job with no fuss. It is not however in the barn door league!

Personally, I think I would be routing/drilling the mortises as deep as I could, then finishing by hand. Of course I have no idea how many you have to do.

Thank you waterhead and escudo for your replies. I am looking for somethink quite a bit more substantial as a machine - like the Sedgwick. If any one else has any suggestions, please chip in

The Multico M1 or M3(3 phase) are robustly built machines I would say equivilant to a sedgwick. I have a M1 morticer and it will do what you want with ease. These often come up on uk ebay and usually go for between £250 and £400. A dealer will usually charge between £400-500 plus vat for a decent example of a Multico or Sedgwick. Or slighty more for a newer sedgwick. Another option would be a chain and chisel morticer or a wadkin dm or dmv but these will be serious money.

Jon

Back