Multico M1 Morticer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently use an Axi AW19FM which I bought new a couple of years ago, which I have been happy with. I have been offered a Multico M1 for a couple hundred quid and was wondering if it was worth going for and selling the axi. My main concern is the multico motor is 550w and the axi is 750w, I don't want to end up with a machine that I keep stalling. I appreciate the M1 motor will probably be far superior. What do you all think?

have you got a picture of the actual machine?

the one we used to have was a great little tool, would certainly considder it a step up from the axminster. might have to get a collet made to sleeve a chuck onto the multico motor for easier bit changes? as they are grub screw fixing.

I can get a pic early next week, it's in another workshop at the mo. I have a multico planer which is a great piece of kit, so I'm sure the morticer will be good as well. It all depends on what it's cutting capacity is, the Axi is 16mm hardwood, 19mm softwood, I'm hoping the multico would be the same. This one is the model where the bit grub screw fixing is behind a square plate door.

you wont have much trouble with power on them size mortice chisels, its only a drill afterall. does it come with the stand

if you do buy it, i may have a collet we had made up for ours that will convert it to a chuck type (grub screws to shaft then has thread to accept chuck

Thanks mate, much appreciated 8)

Yes mate it comes with the stand.

Only issue I could see with it is that the weight inside the rear pillar is hanging a bit low, therefore restricting its upper most travel. It will be interesting to see how easy it is to access the weight for adjustmest...

If it is any help, I have just measured my M1 and it will plunge a total 21cm (21.5cm but that is hitting the base plate :shock: ).

It goes through oak, with decent chisels, with no problem. I haven't gone the full 21cm but am sure it will do the depths you are talking about without any problem.It is a solid bit of kit.

Multico are still operating.They are in France but English speaking (if you need it) and very helpful.

Hi John, Thanks mate, the weight will deffo need adjusting as it hits the pillar base well before 210mm. The sizes I mentioned further up the thread was with regard to the chisel section size, If I need to go much deeper than 70mm I just spin the timber over because of the cutting length of the chisel. What size chisels do you use on oak?

I want to hear it running next week, see what bits and pieces come with it and give it a bit of a test, and all being well there is a strong chance I'll make an offer.

Thanks John, much appreciated mate, hopefully I'll get the chance to test it this week and see how it goes... 8)

Back