multico m1 morticer - fitting chisel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought this morticer a few years back and have never got it going. I'm trying to get it set up and use it at last.

My problem is that the chisels don't seem to go smoothly all the way up into the bushing, and another thing do I need to get other bushings made for other size chisels? There is also a 1" chisel supplied with it but cannot figure for the life of me how that would fit into the morticer.

The other problem is fixing the bit. There are two grub screws but the bit doesn't seem to fit snug anywhere in this silver column in the picture. Maybe something is missing, broken, stuck up there?

Please help or tell me what I need to buy!

Thanks

https://picasaweb.google.com/1134873836 ... 77Fpr-_TA#

The top grub screw is to hold the sleeve (your silver collar) onto the output shaft of the motor.The lower grub screw holds the auger into the sleeve. The chisel sits in the lower part of of the casing. It is held by a compression nut and a cotter type bolt.

If you pm me an e-mail address I will send you a copy of the manual, if you don't already have one. It helps to explain how to set up the mortiser and chisel.

Probably send tomorrow now.

Cheers

So do I have to take the compression bolt all the way out to fit the chisel?

The bit shank is held just by that one little grub screw? Does it matter where it goes as there seems to be a flat edge on the top of the bit - does it have to align with that. Also it doesn't seem to go high enough into the sleeve. :roll:

selly":34fhie12 said:
There is also a 1" chisel supplied with it but cannot figure for the life of me how that would fit into the morticer.
Thanks

For the 1" chisel, you may need a different chisel collet. I'm not familiar with Multico mortisers, but it looks like there is a removable steel tube that the chisel fits into. This would be the collet. You probably need one with a larger internal diameter.

Kirk

I think i'm missing the top hat as well aren't I?

Did you get my e-mails? I covered the fact that each size of drill needs its own size of top hat (collet) which fits inside the sleeve and has a hole in it to allow the grub screw to go through and pinch up on the flat of the drill.

EDIT: The chisel itself does not fit into the sleeve. It fits into the bottom of the housing into the block with the bolt through it shown in the photographs. It is the drill which goes right up into the upper sleeve and is retained by the grub screw.

Thanks john.

for some reason I can't reply to you - gmail bounces you mail back.

I got the info but I still think I'm missing a top hat as I don't see one in the machine.

In your second and third photos there appears to be a top hat in the sleeve. It may be just needing loosened to get it out.

As I mentioned in the e-mail there is a series of top hats which have an internal diameter size according to the drill used.

The external diameter of the top hat is the same on each size as it slides into the sleeve which has the grub screws in it.

Multico sent me a list of the part numbers for each size but unfortunately I can't find where I put it. However, from my invoices:

H-M2693B - 1/4" collet to fit bits 10mm to 12mm
H-M2693C - 3/8" collet to fit bits 1/2" to 9/16"

Multico supply chisels and bits in both metric and imperial sizes hence the mixture.

The top hat is just a spacer to accommodate the different sizes. You should be able to get them from Multico (I did).

This is a photo of mine. It shows the top hat in the sleeve. It's the lighter coloured piece of steel with the stem of the bit passing up through it. The photo also shows the set up for the chisel with the compression ring and the cotter bolt.

IMG_3071.jpg

As for chisels and bits, Axminster would probably be more economical.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/morticer-acc ... 13032_pg1/

The other option is to get some sleeves machined up to replace the top hats but at the end of the day that may well turn out to be more expensive.

Hi John

you seem to be well clued up on this m1 well maybe you can answer this small question sorry if its been covered.

ive just got mine along with a load of various size chisels so alls good. one question i have and this might sound stupid but no where in the bag of bits are there any collets changing in size to fit the shank of the chisles. therefore if i screw up the grub screw directly onto the chisel it would spin out of true if the chisel were sat 1/4 " for example.

am i right in assuming i need collets or am i missing something stupid if so where the heck can i obtain these parts any clues would be greatfully appreciated

regards

Chris

^^^^^

Wot 'e said. :D

EDIT: Address for Multico:

Multico SARL
15 Rue des Alouettes
St Remy
France

Tel: 0033 385 486 672 Fax: 0033 385 486 913

English spoken. I found them helpful.

For JMcK
Just read this thread. I have Multico M1 morticer and would be very grateful if you could mail me the manual as you offered before to selly.
I'm fairly new to UKW so can't PM yet. Not sure how it works, but grateful if you could contact me.
Thanks v much
Rod

Nordkapp":ui5bb33d said:
For JMcK
Just read this thread. I have Multico M1 morticer and would be very grateful if you could mail me the manual as you offered before to selly.
I'm fairly new to UKW so can't PM yet. Not sure how it works, but grateful if you could contact me.
Thanks v much
Rod

He hasn't been on here since July 2012, you can post and pm after 3 posts, I believe.
Regards Rodders
PS,
Just found this earlier post from martinholden linking the manual,--

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_6y687 ... RIbFE/edit
and here for chisels, etc

http://www.sesaws.co.uk/category/MORTIC ... ITS,b.html
Rodders

Back