Multico 12 speed pillar drill adjusting rack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Tom if you don't mind i will have some measurements from you regarding the rack ps i bought a Chuck Key 8mm Pilot 11 Teeth for 3-16mm Drill work's ok not perfect but that could be the chuck 1990 was the date on the drill Mock

I suggest before splashing the cash on a replacement rack, that you look into why it might have been removed. It is possible that the rise and fall gear box became damaged and the only way then to adjust the table would have been to take out the rack. |Check also that you have the top rack retension collar. The bottom of the rack locates in an angled groove in the base of the machine, the top collar has a similar angled groove and is fixed to the column below the drill head with a grubscrew. Crude but essential to retain the rack.
The other way to get control over rise and fall would be use of a small hydraulic bottle jack resting on the base of the machine and pressing centrall on the underside of the table. This will almost certainly be cheaper than the cost of new rack from machine mart.

Me too Bob. Mine came out of our school D&T workshop, where some ham-fisted North Down neanderthal had "broke it". I converted it to single phase, but never thought to check the gearing....Gawd, that headstock weighs as much as Blo(w)jo(b)'s ego...and mine is the floor model...mounted on a trolley...going to be an intricate "bitta guntin'" to get it off to slide the winding handle housing off!!
A trolley jack is looking more and more delectable...

Sam

SammyQ":qgujn9id said:
Thanks Trev.

Mock, I had no luck locating the info; drat, sorry. But, I do have a chuck key, will look today for insignia on it. Couldn't yesterday, as away from home.

I still intend to chase down a rack; it was going to be £28 - £30, plus VAT and postage I think.

Sam
Can i suggest putting clarke in the message search bar for e,mail search if you haven't already Mock

Ta Mock. I was in touch with Clarke's customer service by email before and they actually sent a letter (remember them?) back, quoting costs and naming an individual within the service dept to liase with...can I find that letter? Bulkwarks!!

Sam

No worries 'I sent a email to clarke 's but the reply back was i don't think we stock those lol Adjusting rack's

Myfordman":2o6d9psl said:
I suggest before splashing the cash on a replacement rack, that you look into why it might have been removed. It is possible that the rise and fall gear box became damaged and the only way then to adjust the table would have been to take out the rack. |Check also that you have the top rack retension collar. The bottom of the rack locates in an angled groove in the base of the machine, the top collar has a similar angled groove and is fixed to the column below the drill head with a grubscrew. Crude but essential to retain the rack.
The other way to get control over rise and fall would be use of a small hydraulic bottle jack resting on the base of the machine and pressing centrall on the underside of the table. This will almost certainly be cheaper than the cost of new rack from machine mart.
Gear box seam's ok and collar but the drill head was heavy to take off and put back on again i also have the floor standing drill 12 speed not the 5 speed version i 1 st posted :oops:

SammyQ wrote:
Thanks Trev.

Mock, I had no luck locating the info; drat, sorry. But, I do have a chuck key, will look today for insignia on it. Couldn't yesterday, as away from home.

I still intend to chase down a rack; it was going to be £28 - £30, plus VAT and postage I think.

Sam I found someone who kindly told me the size of his adjusting rack on the same machine
threaded table rise and fall it’s. 530mm overall and has a travel of 400mm but its a bench drill maybe we could work it out from there if you find one let me know please Mock

Sure thing. Mine is the floor mounted one, so the rack may be longer(?). I am tied up just now with family issues, but hope to get back to this in about 3 days time. I think photos of mine and measurements as you say are the way to go.

Sam

Sorry Mock
Thought you got it sorted.
I took a few snaps and measurements from my unbranded machine.
It's about 545mm long roughly, as I can't measure it without taking the collars off, I'd want 550 to be on the safe side.
drill01.JPG

It measures about 17mm wide
drill 02.JPG

drill 03.JPG

The rack is milled about 110mm down from the top
drlll 04.JPG

It looks to be 9mm thick, and the slot depth is 4mm.
drill 05.JPG

The milling looks to be about an inch above the bottom.
I had to go out and check the length as I forgot :oops: , and the narrower rule than the one shown
fits into the collar deeper...
I can't tell if the ends are ground as sharply as a chisel or not, so you would need to check that out.
I haven't checked what angle bevel they are ground at either.

I hope this helps
Had a quick look with no avail on the bay, found some return springs for a pint and overpriced cranks but no racks.
I could have looked more thoroughly though.
Might be easier with measurements.
Good luck
Tom

Attachments

• drill01.JPG
    drill01.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 74
  • drill 02.JPG
    drill 02.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 74
  • drill 03.JPG
    drill 03.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 75
  • drlll 04.JPG
    drlll 04.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 93
  • drill 05.JPG
    drill 05.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 92
Just as an aside to this which might be of interest to those with a heavy pillar drill and no mechanical table lift I sorted something for my Meddings yesterday just as a quick knock up to try but I'll probably just leave it as is.
I already had the jack so cost me nothing but they can be bought for less than a tenner. Took 20 mins start to finish and works perfectly on my drill press.
The jack has a grooved top which locates on to the central rib under the table, I cut a bit of 9mm ply, screwed 2 locating battens under which lock into the base slots, centralised before fixing the jack.

The jack is only 85mm high excluding the ply and I can remove it in seconds and drop back perfectly located if required.

I posted this on another forum and it was suggested by another member that the winding end be modified to fit a cordless drill which seems a good idea.

Attachments

• IMG_2616.JPG
    IMG_2616.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 44
Thanks' i have seen a video with the same idea and the one who used a drill .The only problem i have is it's a floor standing drill but if i can not find anything suitable over the next couple of week ill have a good think about something similar Mock

Mock, mine is the floor model too, so the jack's travel height may not be enough if we adopt Bob's wheeze? Mine is an "Astra" - which I suspect to be a Nearok (Korean) in disguise - and it has a distinct 'boot' from the base plate into which the column fits. A 'leg-up' contrivance may be needed. Photos tomorrow if I can.

More complicated is the issue of registration to my mind. If you have centred a job onto the table, drilled your first hole, then have to swop out the drill for a bigger one for example, lowering the table could twist it slightly to one side or t'other, and if not noticed, 'cos you are in a hurry, could result in a 'keyhole' rather than two concentric holes?

My solution, yet to be realised, is to Jubilee-clip a piece of steel onto the column, top and bottom, but inserted through the aperture that the rack formerly occupied. Now, I don't know the dimensions of that aperture, I don't know if there is a handy steel section near those dimensions, "I know nutting", but I am hoping that the table could be 'jacked' up and down the column, maintained in registration by said strip. If it could be shown to work, my further aspiration would be to drill, then tap, the strip top, middle and bottom to more properly (permanently) secure the it and thus render it a more rugged/resistive fixture on the column.

And that was the Bumbling Broadcasting Corporation's "Heath Robinson Hour", brought to you tonight from a draughty garage, someway north of common sense. We hope you enjoyed the topic and that you will tune in next time, for our presenter's take on mounting an ML8 lathe headstock on to some sandstone coping stones (that were otherwise not in service) to form the basis of a dedicated bowl-turning lathe. Same time, same place...Good Night!

Sam

It's been suggested to me to measure the column on the drill and look for one the same size with the adjusting rack and table on e bay but there's nothing close enough to me yet Mock

Latest posts

Back