Multi-Tools (Leatherman)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of getting a multi-tool for a little while now such as a Leatherman or a Gerber. There always seems to be a situation I find myself in where "I wish I had a pair of pliers right now for holding this scorching hot piece of metal" or "I wish I had something other than my fingernails to pry this tin of paint open" and the classic "My teeth are beginning to hurt trying to chew through this stranded cable" and usually the tool needed is quite far away (Usually 5 metres plus! :) ) Yes, I know individual tools are the winner every time but there are always times where I'm caught without anything and usually have to make do with a rock and a stick or something.

I was wondering if anyone here has any real experience with one as a regular/daily user and what they think of them, I reckon it would be quite handy for myself but I'm not sure if it's just one of those gimmicky things that sound good but isn't that great in practice. I'd like to know from actual people first before even thinking about dropping £100+ on a pocket weight. I've been looking at the Leatherman Surge which seems to have great reviews, good specs and a nice range of tools without being too over the top and bulky. I ideally want something that will survive the inevitable drop out of my pocket from 4 stories up off a scaffold onto the concrete which my Milwaukee Fastback (Great knife!) has become familiar with over the years :lol:

Open to any feedback/suggestions!

My leatherman surge rarely leaves my belt, i get some criticism for this but i spend most of my life in work wear and working in some way or another, my only vehicle being my work van! My partner likes to give me grief over this but I put a stop to this when she asked if I had an emery board for her nails. The surge comes with one!!

There isn't many a day goes by that its not in use for some job or another. Its got some really nice features, the replaceable anvil cutters are pretty heavy duty and will cut 3mm wire. Only today I used the large flat head prying thing to open some 5l bitumen cans, cut some roofing felt and pull out some old felt nails

The saw blade is really cleaver in the fact that it takes a jigsaw blade, so it can be swapped to the file very quickly (Also jig saw fitting) and i also keep a metal cutting blade in the blade packet which has its own place in the belt holster. Many times i have used the saw blade to finish off a cut after using the plunge saw, just easier to do that than get the jigsaw/hand saw from the van.

They do seem very desirable to tea leaves but I've managed to hold on to this one for 8 months now! Previously I had 2 waves but the surge is a fair bit bigger and more packed in so it was an easy choice. The blade has never been sharpened in this time its not great but still cuts ok, guess I need to give it a touch up!

It really is a life saving tool, You will forget the price after its saved your bacon a few times!

Adidat

My Leatherman sits in the glove compartment of the car & saves me having to cart a larger toolkit around.
It was given to me by an American ex-linesman. They sort out electrical problems at the top of poles. He stated that they are so well thought of that all tradesmen carry one.

I picked up a very marginal Fuller tools multi-tool some years ago and have had no reason to fault it.
it is a pure POS as a tool , really it is. BUT it has done great service on numerous occasions. It sits in my pocket and just keeps helping out. A quality version is probably an even better thing to have. It ain't what you got for the job , but is what you got that is up to the job that counts . Multi's are a stopgap for what has to happen , not for what you would like to happen. ideals are not the issue here. What matters is what you can make it do. If you can make it do something for you , then it is good.

I have a Leatherman Wave and Skeletool. I found the wave to be too heavy for everyday carry, but good for travel; it’s 2/3 the weight of the Surge, so bear that in mind and maybe try and get your hands in one before buying.

The Skeletool is my edc - light enough, good enough pliers with wire cutter and stripper (though there’s a thin section to the nose, can snap if you try to use them like pincers sideways-on - don’t ask me know I know that) decent combi blade and changeable driver bits. And you can use the bottom of the handle to open paint tins etc...

HTH P

Love my Wave and have several others too.

Just remember though, very few in the leatherman range are suitable for EDC as they almost all have a locking blade, just something to bear in mind if you are not a tradesman and want to carry it at all times.
The Juice range is EDC legal however and still very good.

I have 3 multitools. I have had a Leatherman (don't know the model) for over 20 years. I have a smaller no-name version and a tiny no-name version. I find the small no-name version is something I carry often. I only carry the tiny one where space & weight are at a real premium but I want to carry something. I only carry the Leatherman when I am packing tools and I think it might come in handy. As a non-tradesman the Leatherman is just too big & heavy for me to bother carrying it "just in case" when I have no jobs planned, but I often pop the smaller no-name version in my pocket on a whim.

Another issue is that the knife on the Leatherman is difficult to sharpen. I never get a good edge on it; perhaps the steel is too hard. The no-name version sharpens nicely. I even use it as a marking knife sometimes, but the Leatherman would be too big & cumbersome for that.

I've used a wingman every day for several years now and it pretty much fits my needs; it's not perfect- I agree that it's hard to get a good edge on the blade
After so much use the wingman is starting to show its age so recently I thought I'd replace it. Spent over £100 on a Signal model (admittedly without doing a lot of research ) and it's the biggest POS I've ever come across. Ended up going back to my battered old wingman.

Thanks for the pointers fellas,

The wave does seem like a better match to what I need vs the Surge, a little lighter and smaller is always welcome without any compromise in practicality. Nice to hear they’re not a glorified paperweight also :lol:

I’ll have to do a little more thinking before fully committing to it.

I've owned 1 leatherman (granted some time ago). It got sold on in a short period of ownership as it never really did what I needed it to and was more of a "oh you've got a leatherman" type tools (think snap on) to my mind. I bought a considerably cheaper Coast multitool that has been used and abused ever since and is still going strong, no aluminium in sight. they don't make that one anymore unfortunately.

Anyways, this little story is more to suggest you can dip you toe, so to speak, in the multitool world without the breaking of the bank if you look around carefully.

good luck with your searching.

I've had a Leatherman for years. Keep it in a little tub with some Hex bits and adaptors. Been very useful in lots of weird situations.

Keep in mind other brands such as Stanley - they often have special deals. Don't have one myself but see their tools in most tool shops. Does anyone have one who can comment on the quality?

Also - Coast. They make amazing LED lanterns and torches. Picked up a newlantern at the FFX show recently for my car, bought a torch and multi tool combo. Much much cheaper than Leatherman or Gerbers. Very solid piece of kit but haven't needed to use it much yet.

https://www.its.co.uk/pd/LED155-Dual-LE ... gK5V_D_BwE

Had a Gerber and that was very well made and did a lot of jobs for me. Had it confiscated at a security check on a school trip! Sir - would you like to fill in the forms around the corner where your class can't see you? I can confirm the police take a dim view of the locking blades!!

I have 2 leatherman...men?
The big lad who goes camping with me. Or anywhere on holibobs really...
For everything normal I have 3 other options.
A purple juice XE6. (leatherman model name) I didn't think LM sell it it anymore (?) but plenty are still available online. https://www.outdoor365.co.uk/multi-tool ... urple-p121
It is the perfect size for an all rounder. Does everything right. Not too much wrong. Goes in your pocket easily, big enough to work properly. It goes everywhere with me other than work.
Both were presents.
I also have a tiny spyderco knife 1" blade i keep on my keys. It's a great knife for what it is. Amazing edge retention.
And I have a weekend knife.
I bought it in the French Alps, highest village in France while mooching up and down hills a few years ago with the Mrs. *Are we heading for the that F******g pass up there. I'm going to kill you You are a F******g dead man!
Nooooo love.*Gulp* Juuuuust a bit further..... :shock:
When we finally got there we stayed at a little place. I had pavement of beef. It took two nights for her to give up 8 years of vegetarianism. LOL.
Mountain people don't do vegetables. It's Protein or Death.

PoeyE4G.jpg

The emblem of St Veran is the Cockerel and is stamped on the blade.
Anyway. My greatest luxury is a handmade knife by the fella from there. It's lovely, balanced perfectly beautifully made and keeps an edge.

I've had a few multitools, Leatherman, Gerber and Swisstool (Victorinox).
I like the leatherman for the better pliers, other than that my favourite is the Swisstool Spirit, mine's got the tiny ratchet as well which has been a lifesaver more than once, it clicks on to a little bit holder for different screw driver and a couple of small hexagon sockets, all together in one pouch.

I just wish I wouldn't keep forgetting that it's in my hand luggage when I travel....

Cheers!

Ferenc

Original Leatherman here, and Victorinox.

I lost the Leatherman pouch some while back, and have totally failed to get a replacement from Leatherman in the USA (even though they say they keep them).

Both are really handy for different tasks, but the Victorinox steel is better at edge-keeping. I do sharpen both but I don't like the blade on the Leatherman - it doesn't latch nicely and has a habit of trying to close on my fingers in (ab)use. In neither tool is the file terribly good. I assume this is because they try to use reasonably rustproof steel, which doesn't harden well.

If buying the Swiss army style, don't make the mistake I did: the corkscrew is much more useful than the crosshead, and they make a cool little screwdriver that fits inside it. I bought one recently as a present for a youngster: you can now get them very nicely silk-screen printed with the owner's name in a choice of fonts, etc. He was really pleased with his.

I have a leather man supercool used every day
I would say go leather man or Gerber for the replaceable cutters some even use carbide inserts very similar to multitip lathe tooling
Leather man's have a life time warranty I believe and if there is any problem with them you can speak to leatheman about it
Gerber's have the advantage of one hand pliers opening which is really handy when u are trying to hold on to something
And Gerber make a full size model without blade if you are worried about that but I think the knife is the most used part
I like having a aerated and straight blade
Serated is used the most for me

I have one of the miniature versions. It cost me $6, it lives in my luggage and I take it on holiday when we stay in rented accommodation. It's utterly invaluable.

Pete

I also have a no name multi tool that goes in the luggage along with the swiss army knife (if only just for the corkscrew!!)
PS to trevanion Lidl have a multi tool version in stock at the moment if you want to try out the concept and it wont break the bank

I have had a leatherman supertool mire or less since they came out.
Brilliant and it is pretty much always in ny pocket, gotten me out of a jam on a few occasions.

I also purchased a second one which lives in the car glove box

Obviously each individual part isn't quite as good as a tool designed to do that job. The Pliers aren't as good as carrying pliers, the screwdrivers aren't as good as carrying screwdrivers, the file isn't as good as carrying a file, the saw isn't as good as carrying a saw etc etc etc but it does save carrying a toolbox in your pocket.

I have managed to break my original twice, sent it to leatherman and they have replaced it free of charge. Good service.

Sorry for keeping you boys out of the loop,

I've had a Leatherman Wave since the Saturday before last (May 4th). Whilst I've not got out of the habit of running to go fetch a tool which is already in the Leatherman I have found it to be quite handy in the past 2 weeks. It's surprising how handy an actual blade is versus a Stanley style knife, although it won't replace the razor as I won't exactly be using the LM for the really rough stuff. Pliers have been useful a couple of times, the saw has helped occasionally when I wanted to cut a piece of polystyrene board and I would have to get a saw, Screwdriver has undone a couple of screws but I think the thing that's had the most use is the little diamond file on the tool, very handy for putting a quick edge on a tool and even getting a bit more life out of a router bit. It's not too heavy to have clipped to the pocket either so it's pretty much effortless EDC for the work I do, It's lighter than my tape measure anyway!

All in all, quite happy with it. :D

Back