Multi tool blades.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
I recently bought some cheap Imperial blades for my Bosch multi tool in an effort to save money but as usual you get what you pay for & they were sh1te.

Still not wanting to pay top dollar I thought I`d have a play at making my own :D

So this morning at Screwfix I bought an Irwin japanese type saw for £15, a fiver less than 1 multi tool blade, this i marked out to the size of blades i wanted.

012-7.jpg

Using an off cut of steel as a fence the sections were cut up with a 1mm grinding disc & cleaned up on the linisher.

013-8.jpg

Next old blades were parted from there collars at the miller using a carbide bit to drill out the spot welds, the same could be done on a slow running pillar drill & a re-ground carbide masonary bit.

014-4.jpg

Holding the new blade & collar in long nosed mole grips which in turn were held in the vice the 2 pieces were silver soldered together, taking care not to let too much heat travel down to the teeth.

015-6.jpg

5 finished blades (one on the multi tool) & 2 spare ready for collars.

016-3.jpg

I`m not saying they are pretty, but they work a treat, I`ve tried them on some pine & Oak with very good results.

Hope it`s of use to someone.

Cheers.

Thanks Doug, very handy. Will have to have a go.
Pity that the segmented blades are kinda hard to produce.

Noel":3d6fiu9r said:

Which ones Noel...I like a challenge :)

shipbadger":3d6fiu9r said:
have you tried Saxton blades.

I`ve Not tried Saxton Tony, but I`ve seen their prices & their japanese style blade is around £4-20 each & whilst quite inexpensive compared with others, I`ve now got the price of the home made ones down to £1-15 each.
Yesterday I got through 3 blades just cutting out a 4` Oak sash cill ready for splicing, teeth broken off as I hit hidden nails & screws that had been used on previous repairs on of this 125 year old window.

004-27.jpg

I can easily get through a dozen blades a month so even a £3 a blade saving is well worth the effort.

Cheers.

Doug B":1gk458p7 said:
Noel":1gk458p7 said:

Which ones Noel...I like a challenge :)

These wee fellas Doug:

See what you can do.

Having now used your in-house blades how do they compare (apart from disliking nails...) to the real, very expensive McCoy?

Back