Multi tool blade recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfps

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an Aldi Ferrex Multi tool. It's a tool I seldom use and couldn't therefore justify spending more for a branded make but is invaluable when it is needed for certain jobs or to get out of a sticky situation.
It was a cheap machine but seems to perform the few jobs I need it for adequately. The blades that come with the machine are not exactly the best quality and perhaps an area where they have been able to
cut corners to make the price more attractive to buyers.
I think probably that the quality of the cutting blade is more important so can anyone suggest good quality , reasonably priced blade sets for this machine please.
There are lots of options online and on ebay etc but I would rather purchase after taking advice from people who have had experience first hand.
Any recommendations and links to webpages would be much appreciated.
Thanks

It depends what you want to cut. For wood and laminates it doesn't matter so much. But if you want to cut through nails and screws, the teeth wear off the cheap blades such as Saxton in less than no time. Whereas Fein blades, the Festool branded ones and the better Bosch blades will snip nails and screws off if marked wood / metal. For tiles, cement board and such like, then again quality (expensive) wins out. That said I have never used an Aldi multitool: only Festool, Fein and Makita. (The Makita went back).

I got these coarse blades when I started oak flooring my hall. They are really long, so great for thick skirting. I used for cutting skirting, chipboard, MDF, the oak flooring and the like. I was very pleased with their performance. Can definitely recommend them.
I think the multitool is one of the most versatile tools in my bag, I don't use it every day, but it's just great for cutting in awkward inaccessible places.

+1 for Saxton blades for wood.
Not tried their blades on metal yet
I've tried there carbide metal blade cutting off the ends of screws did 3 or 4 screws then had to go back to my about trashed Bosch one that Finnished the job off and was still better than the Saxton one!

I have used the Saxton ones and ebay cheapies under several other names. They are all about the same.
I sometimes get the SMART brand ones which are definitely a bit better.

I have an Fein multimaster, so I really prefer the ones with a complete ring around the clamp area, I have found that the ones that have a split ( I think for Dewalt ) have a tendancy to spread apart and go loose.
The other weak spot on the cheapies is the welds where the blade attaches to the clamp bit.

The original Fein blades are very good but silly money. The thing is with these tools, a nail will smash a cheap or expensive blade regardless.
I regard them as a sacrificial so buy loads of the cheap ones.

Best advice for making blades last better put the speed lower than you think you should.

Ollie

I love the cheapies but those that have Japanese pattern teeth I think there from Saxton. they are amazing in my fein multimaster and eat wood for breakfast!

Great response guys...thank you very much.
I find advice from people with experience the best type.

As I am an infrequent , casual user and don't have to rely on the tool for my job I think I will try the Saxton ones first.

Back