Multi-tip advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsyMan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

When we were at the Malvern meet up I purchased a round nosed scraper with replacable bit, the name on the handle is Enduro of Sweden but googling this in any form simply gets me a list of motorbikes (not surprisingly), I wonder if anyone can tell me if any of the other multi tip tools "bits" would fit mine. I have never owned any of the others to find out although I did order a teardrop bit for the Henry Taylor one and found it way too small (to be used in a home made articulated hollowing tool project coming soon though)

Any pointers to replacement parts would be appreciated as it is a very solid tool and used to shear scrape like a dream until I blunted it.

Pics for size reference:

scraper1.jpg

scraper2.jpg

scraper3.jpg

Regards

Simon

Looks like it might be a carbide to me. Have you tried to get a new edge by running a diamond sharpener across the flat (top)? If it is high speed steel you should be able to resharpen. Sorby have a range of replacement HSS tips. Carbides can be found on the net and Ebay, mostly US based suppliers.

Phil

Hi Phil,

It is a carbide one (as I found out when I tried to touch it up on the grinder and found it barely polished the edge) :oops:
I do have a diamond hone, al be it a very cheap and nasty one, flat over the top?

Simon

Simon,that main shaft isn't an old file thats been ground down is it as i can what looks like a worn file pattern on the first piccy??
If it is it will be too brittle to use as an hollowing tool.

I sharpen similar by doing as mentioned above, I have a cheapie flat diamond coated steel plate, dressing the top of the bit returns the sharp edge.

Definately not a file, I did find a vague reference to Enduro multi tip tools from issue 40 of woodturning mag (but can't find a back issue that far back :) ) but I think it is so old now they have ceased to exist. I will give the diamond hone a try and also check the sorby scraper tips, I think I bought the henry taylor multi tip "hollowing tool" tip by mistake as opposed to the scraper multi tip so it may be that the right tips from the other makes will fit this one. Thanks for the tips everyone (see what I did there)

Simon

Your other option might be to see if an Easy Tool round carbide will fit or a derivative on eBay see previous thread on carbides. Only problem might be the size of the Easy Tool circular cutter (might be a smaller diameter) it would still work subject to the width of the shaft.

Phil

Surely even if it's a carbide tip it'll sharpen with a diamond hone - and there looks to be plenty of "meat" left in it..

If you tap a hole of the correct diameter in the end of a steel or aluminium rod held in the jaws of your chuck or a Jacob's chuck you can mount the cutting tip on the end and run it on the lathe. Then hold a wetted diamond hone against it. Alternatively hone the top flat surface with a diamond hone. Or better still a bit of both.

HTH
Jon

I make these tools ... and yes I sell them to .... carbide insert tips are very simple to redress an edge on, buy a set of cheap diamond hones, the type that come in red, yellow, blue backed plastic, course, medium and fine ... get a small container of water and place the course hone in it, submerged. Take your carbide tip and with it upside down, ie, the widest face down, use your finger to make it do circles on the hone, count to 30 slowly whilst you are doing this, then repeat for the other grades of hone. Thats all it needs, and if you take care with it, it will last you a life time.
I found a handmade nail in a piece I was turning and the carbide went straight through it like butter, never even blinked, and is still as sharp as when fitted !

Robbo3":gbsm9ma3 said:
@ Chris1965
Not sure what the forum rules are on this, but I feel that a number of forum users would be interested in your tools.

See this thread - carbide-cutter-t56324.html

Regards
Robbo

Yes I have seen this thread, we are currently working on a patent application for an innovative design, our costs are considerably less than those available, and our replacement cutters are alot cheaper than people are currently paying, we use easily available inserts and supply a spare tip and setscrew, the idea is to help turners, not rip them off. I did not join this forum to self promote myself or my business, just to broaden my contact base, and if I can help someone with a solution or they I, then all is good.

Chris1965":34oymjqm said:
Robbo3":34oymjqm said:
@ Chris1965
Not sure what the forum rules are on this, but I feel that a number of forum users would be interested in your tools.

Regards
Robbo

Yes I have seen this thread, we are currently working on a patent application for an innovative design, our costs are considerably less than those available, and our replacement cutters are alot cheaper than people are currently paying, we use easily available inserts and supply a spare tip and setscrew, the idea is to help turners, not rip them off. I did not join this forum to self promote myself or my business, just to broaden my contact base, and if I can help someone with a solution or they I, then all is good.

Hi Chris 1965, can you give me some idea of what tooling you have available,do you do complete tools or just inserts .

boysie39":2bmm9jrl said:
Chris1965":2bmm9jrl said:
Robbo3":2bmm9jrl said:
@ Chris1965

Regards
Robbo

Hi Chris 1965, can you give me some idea of what tooling you have available,do you do complete tools or just inserts .

Sent you a PM.

Latest posts

Back