Multi Delta Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billfarworth

Reaction score
Hi,
looking to purchase a multi delta sander.
I want something preferably with a variable speed control.
Ryobi 180W Multi-Pad Sander
and
Black & Decker KA280
are in my list.
Could you give any feedback from your experience!
Thanks
Bill

Hi,
the Bosch multi tool can be used as a delta sander though apparently not as efficiently as the pad oscillates rather than orbits. To compensate, the Bosch can be fitted with a number of (expensive) blades etc so is very versatile. It has dust extraction and variable speed. I bought one last year and it does sand very well in my opinion, although I haven't tried a detail sander so can't compare.

Take a look on-line first. There are loads of reviews (Amazon etc) and there now several other makes (which is Fein! if you can afford it) to choose from, but I like my Bosch - cost about £75 including a few blades and sanding sheets. My only gripe so far is that the sanding backing pad seems to be wearing out prematurely.

K

I use my Bosch GOP for sanding quite often.

Observations: it clogs a lot (but I don't have the dust extraction thing for it). You absolutely have to use a vacuum going close to the tool, otherwise the pad clogs and the clogs scratch. I might try ones of those crepe blocks, as clogging paper is by far the biggest nuisance. I haven't bought the DX add-on as I can't see it working very well (anyone got one and cares to comment?).

You get a range of sanding efficiency at the same time. The corners of the pad move faster than the middle of the sides, but more side-to-side. You can take advantage of this, but sometimes it's a nuisance. An orbital one wouldn't do this.

It's pretty good for keying paint surfaces for refinishing, but I haven't used it for woodwork yet at all. My big Makita orbital is good for that, and I wouldn't try to sand detail with a machine as it's too uncontrollable.

Battery life is poor. I can get about 20 mins of slow speed light sanding. That was with almost new batteries. I think Lithium ion batteries don't have a long service life, as mine are tailing off after about eighteen months, and they don't get punishing use. With three batteries you can get about two hours continuous working, as it takes about 30-40 mins to charge one. Given the inevitable breaks, to get the 'phone, have lunch, etc, that's good enough for all day (the charger catches up with you).

The Bosch GOP battery indicator on the side is rubbish: mine started to peel off, leaving sharp edges; you can only operate it with a thumbnail pushed hard into the side of the tool; it doesn't give the same reading as the drill and impact drivers I have (both types have 3 LEDs but which one is right?).

The Bosch storage system is dreadful: Bulky, silly case with a vacuum formed tray. There's nowhere to put accessories and bits of the case plastic are fragile and break off easily. It wouldn't last a week in a chippie's van. Given you're paying for it if you buy a kit, it must rank as unnecessary added cost. I ended up taking a hot-air paint stripper to bits of mine, to "modify" the storage spaces to fit in things like the impact driver, extra bits, etc. There isn't room for everything and none of the storage works very well. I'll be making a carrying case from wood when I get a Tuit.

It's handy, but if I'd had experience of it beforehand, I'd have got a cheap one from Wickes or B+Q and saved money. If the "blue" range is supposedly for trade use, the green ones must be truly awful now. Bosch cordless tool quality seems to have really gone downhill over recent years. A friend's got the equivalent Makita (white) drill+driver set, and they seem much better made, even if they probably do come from the same Chinese factory. I haven't seen another cordless sander to compare it to though, and being cordless is very helpful for DIY, as you can use it up ladders, etc. much more easily.

A mixed bag. On balance I'm glad I have mine, but I probably wouldn't buy it again.

E.

Won't be a lot of help but I've a Fein and a Festool. As you'd expect they're very solid performers that will last. The Festool has a true orbital movement which is great but can't be used for anything else. FWIW I bought the Festool second hand and it was too prohibitive.

Further to my previous forum entry,
Bosch now do a mains powered 'Blue' version for £120 but it wasn't around when I bought mine (for about £70) else I would have 'gone the extra' and bought that. The Blue versions are supposed to be trade rated so obviously should last longer - may be worth the extra money. Also you can now get adapters to enable you to fit accessories from other manufacturers (you probably know all this anyway). In the latest Axminster catalogue you can buy one Bosch sander pad for £10.30 or two Fein ones for £13.99

Just a thought!!

K

Latest posts

Back