Mulberry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
One of my 'wood suppliers' has just given me a big lump of mulberry. Has anyone turned this as it isn't something I have come across before. Really heavy and seems very hard.

Pete

Hi Pete,hows it going :?:
I had a lovely piece of Mulberry a few years ago,but it split pretty badly before i could do anything with it.

Paul.J":1v3h6xga said:
Hi Pete,hows it going :?:
I had a lovely piece of Mulberry a few years ago,but it split pretty badly before i could do anything with it.

This was felled about a year ago and seems pretty solid at the moment so I may be lucky.

Life is pretty good. Big changes and life is on the up.

Pete

Neil Farrer":3kwd7tof said:
Pete,

Was St Francis of Assisi related to Louis Nizer?????
As there were a good number of centuries between them and, to the best of my knowledge St Francis was celibate, I doubt it. The quote is originally by Francis and often re-quoted by others. One of many I picked up at theological college.

Have you turned mulberry by the way?

Pete

Hi Pete,
I've turned a few pieces of mulberry and I still have a few lumps of it somewhere in my woodpile!

It turns fairly easily and finishes without difficulty. It is usually yellow/mustard colour when first turned but it darkens considerably after a few months.

Bodrighy":26o9n4ki said:
Neil Farrer":26o9n4ki said:
Pete,

Was St Francis of Assisi related to Louis Nizer?????
As there were a good number of centuries between them and, to the best of my knowledge St Francis was celibate, I doubt it. The quote is originally by Francis and often re-quoted by others. One of many I picked up at theological college.

Have you turned mulberry by the way?

Pete

Pete,

Fair enough, and I'll put Louis Nizer down as a petty thief then!! I have turned Mulberry, be it a rather small piece and not very indicative of it as a species nor that qualifies me in any way to offer any opinion! George (Cornucopia) has turned more than I and may be able to help.

Neil

Hi Pete

I was lucky enough to buy some mulberry a few months ago- mine was still green and i've turned most of it that way but i've also rough turned a few bits and cut some spindle sections to dry for boxes etc.
it cuts really nice and seems like its soft but it holds detail well- it moves/warps allot during drying especially if there is sapwood or any burr present in the piece.

I uploaded 3 short videos of me working with it- this is the first one

Tanks for the replies. The lump I have is approx 12" diameter and 15" long and has some small burrs on it as well as an interesting outside contour. It's been down about a yer so will still be pretty green. No signs of splits in it so I m hopeful. Not decided quite what I can make with it yet but will keep looking until inspiration hits LOL.

Pete

Back