Mujingfang knife mortise and marking gauges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if you get Mujingfang planes in the UK. Those of you who frequented Badger Pond, and now Wood Central, will know of the quality and incredible value-for-money of their hand planes. For those unfamiliar, they have a Chinese heritage.

Well, I spied a couple of their marking gauges at my local woodworking store in Perth, Carba-tec, and they looked so good, and the price was right, that bought them without further thought.

Both use knives. The first is a mortise gauge, the second is a marking gauge. The timber is ebony (So I was told. It certainly looks much darker compared to the Rosewood alternatives, which are also reddish in hue). The fittings are all brass.

For comparison, alongside is a Crown combination pin mortise and marking gauge, and a Veritas wheel gauge.

http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/details.php?image_id=1198

In practise they work beautifully, cutting clean lines quite effortlessly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Yes, a local store has the planes at about £20-25 each - as you say, extremely good value. I am not sure about the marking gauges.

Thanks for the review Derek!
I have a Japanese marking/mortise gauge which is my favorite. I'll keep an eye out for those Mujingfang ones, they look really nice, and you can't have too many...
Frank

Derek, just to go waaay off topic for a mo, I see you have a 356, rep or restored?
Nice bit of salemanship Rob...no doubt you'll see Frank's name in the intray shortly......

Rgds

Noel

Thanks Rob,
I vaguely remembered you guys carried them...now I know! Rob'll sees my name in his in tray every once in a while...every time I order a few screws it ends up costing me a bundle. What a great way to camouflage the new tools ("Honey, I need a few screws to fix the leaky faucet...!") At least now I know what to order with the holdfast I'll be getting.
Frank

356, rep or restored?

Hi Noel

Yes, it is a silver 1957 "A" coupe, what I call my moving restoration as I do drive it quite a bit. It originates from Sacramento, and I have been restoring it for the past 6 or 7 years inbetween woodworking projects. It is a complete "matching numbers" car, and I have made an effort to retain originality when I replace parts. I've had help with the motor, and now need some serious expertise with the gearbox, but I have done all the bodywork myself. Still one of the most beautiful car shapes ever.

Here you go...in CDN$....

Hi Rob

I should have known that you had the gauges at LV. I knew I had seen them somewhere else before. They deserve to sell well (although the wheel gauge remains my favourite). AND what is that Avatar!!!? The new scrub plane!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Morning Derek, thanks for that. An A? Lucky guy. These days you kinda think "replica" when you see one. Hope the restoration continues to go well.

Rgds

Noel

Yup....been waiting about a month for someone to notice

we're nae all blind... I noticed...

just didn't wanna encourage you...

:p

btw what's the bed length Rob..???

Midnight":1h8szxrl said:
Yup....been waiting about a month for someone to notice

we're nae all blind... I noticed...

just didn't wanna encourage you...

:p

btw what's the bed length Rob..???

Hi -

Scrub is 11 1/4" - and about 3lbs ....1 1/2" wide blade, 3/16" thick... choice of HCS or A2 ...

Heavy smooth is 10" - 4lbs 14 oz ... 2 1/4" blade - same as the LA Jack.

Of course, unless you meant my bed at home...which is 80" long... :lol: :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

Alf":v31yslk1 said:
Rob Lee":v31yslk1 said:
Yup....been waiting about a month for someone to notice :lol:
They do say the memory's one of the first things to go... :roll: ('bout two fifths of the way down this page)

Cheers, Alf

Too right....so many boards.... 'course, Derek's a denizen of another board, so the context was misleading...

Now, where was I supposed to send that smooth again :?: :?:

Darn....

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":kqhlzvjq said:
Now, where was I supposed to send that smooth again :?: :?:
Okay you lot, you can stop putting up your hands and going "me, me me!!!" :roll: :lol: (Although a relief parcel of hanger bolts would be handier just at the moment, to be honest... :roll:)

Cheers, Alf

Back