Much excitement - Record Sabre 350 bandsaw ordered

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popey

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, after much procrastinating and general fretting, I decided to take the plunge and get a decent sized bandsaw. I currently have the Record BS250 which I love, but its resaw capacity does limit what I can do. The defining moment came when I was thicknessing a piece of 31mm oak to 19mm wide. The board was too wide for the BS250 and it pained me to reduce so much material to chippings.
I knew that the supply situation for machinery is pretty dire at the moment thanks to the pandemic but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to give Record Power a call to get their take. The very helpful lady confirmed my fears saying that it could be February before stock arrives. She also mentioned a couple of retailers that might have stock and on the off-chance, I visited the D&M tools website, fully expecting that the bandsaw to be out of stock. It wasn't and much to my credit card's chagrin, a few minutes later I'd placed the order and I'm now dead excited. So this weekend there will be a lot of head scratching as I work out how on earth I am going to fit such a behemoth into my limited space.

I would like to be able to keep the BS250 and fit it with a narrow blade for making curved cuts, but space is at a premium so unfortunately it will have to go.

So if anyone has any hints or tips on getting the best out of the Sabre 350, please do let me know.

Well you’re probably miles ahead of me, but I found a bandsaw buddy from Axminster to be very helpful setting up (I have a Sabre 450). And of course, blades from Tuffsaws, I have quite a few different types & widths for different jobs. Other than that, no it worked right “out of the box” as they say. Dust extraction is pretty mediocre, but I’m not really sure how that could be improved. Loads of power, cuts straight, not sure what else I could ask for.

Well you’re probably miles ahead of me, but I found a bandsaw buddy from Axminster to be very helpful setting up (I have a Sabre 450). And of course, blades from Tuffsaws, I have quite a few different types & widths for different jobs. Other than that, no it worked right “out of the box” as they say. Dust extraction is pretty mediocre, but I’m not really sure how that could be improved. Loads of power, cuts straight, not sure what else I could ask for.
Thanks.
I've already tried a Tuffsaw 3 tooth skip blade in the BS250 for resawing stock and it made short work of oak right at the limit. So I will definitely be using Tuffsaws blades on the new machine when it arrives. I get the feeling that dust extraction on most bandsaws is pretty rubbish.
I think the machine will pay for itself pretty quickly as less stock will be turned into chippings, so every one's a winner :)

You've sussed this already I'm sure, but just in case you haven't, watch some of the unboxing vid's on Youtube.

It's HEAVY! I ended up unpacking the box on the drive to remove as much weight as possible, before heaving the body of the machine indoors. Even then it was a beast to shift around. If you can rope in an extra pair of hands, it will help!!

The good news is that the free Record Power blades that come with it are actually rather good!

New machine day yaya! How exciting there’s no feeling like it. Hope you kept some change for buying Christmas presents for the family - otherwise there’ll be raised eyebrows

You've sussed this already I'm sure, but just in case you haven't, watch some of the unboxing vid's on Youtube.

It's HEAVY! I ended up unpacking the box on the drive to remove as much weight as possible, before heaving the body of the machine indoors. Even then it was a beast to shift around. If you can rope in an extra pair of hands, it will help!!

The good news is that the free Record Power blades that come with it are actually rather good!
Thanks. I've been watching plenty of videos and I have a fairly good idea of what's involved. It looks like removing the cast iron table and cabinet components make the bandsaw a bit more manageable. I have a couple of neighbours who could help, provided I can supply them with homebrew beer...:)

New machine day yaya! How exciting there’s no feeling like it. Hope you kept some change for buying Christmas presents for the family - otherwise there’ll be raised eyebrows
Agreed - it's quite a special feeling. There should be no worries with respect to Christmas presents (I hope...).

Hi Popey, I upgraded from the BS250 to the Sabre 350 a couple of years ago - no regrets! I've used it every day since - 95% for re-sawing and making veneers. I have 2 tips for you based on my experience. Don't use a blade wider than 5/8". I find it challenging to get sufficient tension (or may be the right tension) with a 3/4" blade - even a high quality one from TuffSaws (where I buy all my blades). Secondly, the dust extraction is pants. I've added a second dust extraction point with some piping just under the table that surrounds the blade - see attached picture. It attaches to the cabinet using magnets This is so effective for me that I only occasionally have to open the cabinet to clean it out.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2501.jpeg
    IMG_2501.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 113
I got my one last week - its excellent!

I found a decent second hand dolly for €20. It made collecting it and getting it through the house & into the shop a breeze. Take out the loose components, and use a ratchet strap to secure it and you'll move it no problem by yourself if you need to.

Happy you've got a new bandsaw and its got the depth of cut you need. The cutting depth is always a problem on the 250.

To combat this i've actually taken off the upper guide bearings/blocks and all and its increased the depth of cut from 125mm to just over 170mm.
My reasoning is when pushing, and deflecting the blade its mostly the lower guide and more importantly the thrust bearing that keeps the blade on track and stops it coming off the wheel.
Obviously its a case of care must be taken, and not to push too hard so a new(ish) rip specific blade allows a smooth cut without applying too much pressure. Back off as required.

While not ideal, it can get you out of a hole.

Hi Popey, I upgraded from the BS250 to the Sabre 350 a couple of years ago - no regrets! I've used it every day since - 95% for re-sawing and making veneers. I have 2 tips for you based on my experience. Don't use a blade wider than 5/8". I find it challenging to get sufficient tension (or may be the right tension) with a 3/4" blade - even a high quality one from TuffSaws (where I buy all my blades). Secondly, the dust extraction is pants. I've added a second dust extraction point with some piping just under the table that surrounds the blade - see attached picture. It attaches to the cabinet using magnets This is so effective for me that I only occasionally have to open the cabinet to clean it out.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Chris
I got my one last week - its excellent!

I found a decent second hand dolly for €20. It made collecting it and getting it through the house & into the shop a breeze. Take out the loose components, and use a ratchet strap to secure it and you'll move it no problem by yourself if you need to.
Thanks both - It’s always comforting to hear positive reviews about products. I was really pleased with the BS250, so I had no issues buying another Record Power product. Chris, I will bear your dust extraction tips in mind.

As far as getting mine into the shop is concerned, it will go straight into the garage, so hopefully no issues as the driver should (hopefully) be able to put the pallet straight in there.

Triton,

good tip about removing the top guide block and bearings, though to be honest I probably wouldn’t try it myself. Anyway, the board that swung it for me was 8” wide!

Well its a stopgap, as theres always a need to deep rip a board for one thing or another, only for the job to be held in limbo if you've not the capacity. Though it's something im not really recommending, rather just a means to get the job done.

8" board. You'lll be going mad cutting thick veneers now 😁

Well its a stopgap, as theres always a need to deep rip a board for one thing or another, only for the job to be held in limbo if you've not the capacity. Though it's something im not really recommending, rather just a means to get the job done.

8" board. You'lll be going mad cutting thick veneers now 😁
I can't wait!!!

Hope that helps.

Regards

Chris
I was surprised by this post.
My chip ITECH extractor does an amazing job of picking up all dust etc.

It does sit next to my bandsaw with a hose length of 1m

So maybe its an extractor issue rather than a bandsaw issue.

Just my experience...

I can't wait!!!
Hi Popey
Do you have an update on your Sabre 350 and did you have any trouble getting it delivered into your garage ?
I also live in Swindon and got my Sabre 350 in Feb.
Very pleased with it except for the crappy blade supplied with it !
Currently waiting for a new blade from Tuff saws for some re sawing !

Latest posts

Back