MTF slab top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevbee

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking in to getting a MTF top for better cutting accuracy on sheet materials,I've seen some made of mrmdf and birch ply but my question is which is best . I would be using it with Makita track saw. Thanks for any input.

There are many more experienced folks here than me so there may be different views, but I did a lot of research (see @petermillard you tube vids), and I settled on 25mm mrmdf, I have no issues with mine…(excuse old photo)

6DF90FA8-D2C5-49A0-8AFD-6C643C928BCB.jpeg

Regards

Padster

I have the Makita SP6000 tracksaw and rather than an MFT I use a railsquare which is easier and can be used anywhere.
Hi I know what you mean as I was thinking of buying one but if I'm doing repeated cuts I thought MTF top might be the best way.

I have both. My MFT type setup and I've just bought a rail square which I haven't used yet. The one below was created from a template and is dead accurate. (It was my second attempt as the initial one was with a router where the guide bush was not concentric to the cutter). This is made of 18mm Medite MRMDF and works great. This is an oldish picture and I'm not precious about making cuts in the top so it has a few scars now but still works perfectly. I don't think it would be so robust if made from the non MR stuff from B&Q from my experience.

For the type of work I do (house refurb) sometimes the tool has to go to the job and as I buy full 8x4 sheets they are too big to get on this little table. I'm cutting down some in-situ worktops and this is why I've bought the rail square. I'd already made some home-made parallel guides which I can use with the rail square.

IMG_20180606_111118.jpg

The one below was created from a template and is dead accurate.
Out of curiousity what template did you use, I think the router method sounds easier than the forstener drill bit and I am looking to make a new modular bench with both 20mm dogs and micro jig slots along with an area to sit a router plate.

I think the company was based in Wrexham if I recall. I wrote a sort of review about 4 years ago here - Jig Review
It was quick to make with a standard 1/2" worktop jig and 30mm guide bush. I bought the dogs from them at the same time as I know different manufacturers dogs are slightly different sizes.

So for reference I have a Bosch track saw, and a shorter 800mm rail for cross-cuts used in conjunction with bench dogs rail guide dogs.
This replaced a table saw, I know have the track, mitre and band saws as the machine saws in my workshop and haven’t missed the table saw but have a lot more utilised space.

BTW I used the parf mk II JIG to create my MFT - again no issues but ensure if you are more than a single rule (10 holes I believe) long to start from the middle it does matter… there’s another thread here where I put a link and some reasons if I recall correctly.

Padster

Last edited:
Out of curiousity what template did you use, I think the router method sounds easier than the forstener drill bit and I am looking to make a new modular bench with both 20mm dogs and micro jig slots along with an area to sit a router plate.

Roy, as mentioned I used the parf mkII jig, then I made a separate router table next to it at the same height and depth, everything can be removed so it’s flat and can be used as an extension to the mft, or the mft as and extension to the router table.

DDDF1C52-738E-4632-B20D-AA9B5DEA1784.jpeg

and if you were wondering about getting fence on or off and stuff onto t-track…rare earth magnets and washers 😉

AE547736-DC21-460A-8792-C2340A6D61E4.jpeg

Padster

Hi I know what you mean as I was thinking of buying one but if I'm doing repeated cuts I thought MTF top might be the best way.
You still have to rest the material you’re cutting on something when using a rail square so I’d opt for the MFT top & save the square money & as @pe2dave says they’re replaceable & if you shop around you can now get them cheap enough.

CNC design do some affordable ones. I’m not sure if Makita tracks are the same size as Festool ones but some of the tables with sacrificial insets don’t align with Mafell rails, but it’s an easy modification.
benchdogs do a nice fence for repeated cuts which you can pop on and off very easily and repeatedly.
I went for ply as it gets handled around more than left flat, so I presumed it would be more durable, time will tell

Thanks for your reply think I'm going the MTF top with parf fence or ujk dogs and fence. Would like to know how people get on with the cheaper mtf tops.

I think the company was based in Wrexham if I recall. I wrote a sort of review about 4 years ago here - Jig Review
It was quick to make with a standard 1/2" worktop jig and 30mm guide bush. I bought the dogs from them at the same time as I know different manufacturers dogs are slightly different sizes.
I bought this jig from a company near Chester.
maybe the same place as you they’re not too far apart.
Wood Emporium
Woodemporium
I think I payed £35 for the jig.
Don’t look too close to the writing on it if you’re OCD! 😊
D11650A7-5B77-40D3-A23F-F4ADA84052ED.jpeg

Back