Mt2 revolving centre, but with M33 X 3.5MM thread for scroll chuck (SC4) any ideas.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to mount a second SC4 onto a revolving centre on my tailstock.
It will used to align segmented rings when glueing up to existing rings held in SC4 in headstock. As sometimes it is part turned vessel and easier to hollow as you go through adding further rings. Some designs require accurate alignment and seen this method used on YouTube.

But either I am searching using wrong terms, or they may be DIY made arbors/live centres.

So I've searched using MT2 chuck live centre etc, but end up with screwed arbors for Jacobs chucks and alike.
Tried scroll chuck mounting arbor, but get either mini chucks on mt2, but on dead centre not live centre.

Anybody able to point me in right direction, have you seen one, used one, got one to sell or know suppliers who sell them.

Could you get a centre made? Do you NEED the adjustment on the tailstock end? You have movement/adjustment on the headstock. That would need just a thread, a register and the morse taper.

edit - sorry, I've re read your post. You have tried a chuck mounting arbour - why did it not work?

Could you get a centre made? Do you NEED the adjustment on the tailstock end? You have movement/adjustment on the headstock. That would need just a thread, a register and the morse taper.

edit - sorry, I've re read your post. You have tried a chuck mounting arbour - why did it not work?
Sorry, I meant I "tried searching chuck mounting arbor "

Why is it important that that end moves? Surely you need only one moving end?
I know what you mean and have used that before, but the process is much easier when you are able to rotate both pieces, especially with delicate pattern designs.

I have one from Wivamac, not sure who is representing them in UK or you could get from Willy van Houte in Belgium.

Richard

Similar to what Pete has posted above:
Axminster Woodturning Live Revolving Centre 3/4" x 16 tpi, a thread that most reputable chucks have an insert for.
So you just need the live centre (you'll have to wait, it's out of stock at present) and an insert to suit one of your existing chucks or a chuck to suit e.g. SC3 Geared Scroll Chuck Package with 3 1/2" Faceplate, 3/4" x 16 TPI
Duncan
Thanks Duncan, that looks very promising, plenty 3/4 16tpi to m33 3.5 adaptors.

I have one from Wivamac, not sure who is representing them in UK or you could get from Willy van Houte in Belgium.

Richard
Yep, that's exactly the beast, never thought they'd be so expensive, but I think I'll save some more pennies and plump for that in near future. May even put it on Santa's List 🤣

Found this one at £55 inc del, triple bearing with a 3/4 16tpi nose, easy to get 3/4 to M33 adaptor, plus SWMBO lathe has 3/4 16tpi spindle and some accessories to suit, so may get this, need to check for import fees though as it's from India!
Screenshot_20211010-211138_eBay.jpg

Found this one at £55 inc del, triple bearing with a 3/4 16tpi nose, easy to get 3/4 to M33 adaptor, plus SWMBO lathe has 3/4 16tpi spindle and some accessories to suit, so may get this, need to check for import fees though as it's from India!
View attachment 119483

Curious as to why you would go that route when the Oneway (51 pounds) with adaptor is 83 pounds and is very high quality where the Indian made might be good or it might be junk? Is the pound saved really worth it? Your choice but I don't get it. 🤷‍♂️

Pete

Curious as to why you would go that route when the Oneway (51 pounds) with adaptor is 83 pounds and is very high quality where the Indian made might be good or it might be junk? Is the pound saved really worth it? Your choice but I don't get it. 🤷‍♂️

Pete
Yep, but delivery on top to uk?

Back