MRMDF or Plywood for Kitchen Cabinet Carcasses?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonw1664

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to strat work on a complete kitchen refit, I am going for a painted finish and am trying to decide between MRMDF and Plywood for the carcasses, and I suppose I need to start thnking about what to make the shaker style doors from as well. I would appreciate any thoughts / experences from people who've made thsi journey already, thanks, Jon

I would use MRMDF and spray paint for the best finish. However if you want a painted wood grain effect I’d use plywood.

I know it's not what you asked for but there is a reason that most kitchens use MFC for the carcasses, it is hardwearing and easy to keep clean, painted surfaces like shelves can soon look scruffy.

I would look at MFC or veneered MDF with some kind of varnish type finish.

For the doors the easy option is MR MDF if you are not too rough with them. If you want real wood Tulipwood is usually used, it has a tight grain and paints well but some people think it's a bit soft. If you don't mind spending a bit more Beech or Maple, you get some Maple called colour no defect which is a bit cheaper but perfect for painting,

I’m with Doug, and would go further, for most one off kitchen projects, it’s probably far cheaper to just buy the majority of the carcasses ‘ready built’ and to make just the odd sized ones, or ones that you want something a little different with. Then make the doors to end up with sone thing truly unique.

Last edited:
I’m with Doug, and would go further, for most one off kitchen projects, it’s probably far cheaper to just buy the majority of the carcasses ‘ready built’ and to make just the odd sized ones, or ones that you want something a little different with. Then make the doors to end up with sone thing truly unique.
Thanks all, good advice and very helpful

I bought my kitchen in, but its MFC carcasses with oak veneered MDF doors, which seems a reasonable compromise betweeen looks and stability.

Back