MRMDF kitchen plinths/kickboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ObservantGround28

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used MRMDF for kitchen plinths/kickboards? If so, what thickness did you use and was it a good alternative to a premade MFC?

I think most of the plinths these days are just normal MDF with some kind of vinyl wrap around.

I'm sure you will be okay with MRMDF as long as you seal it and don't mop the floor too often, I would use 18mm.

You often see the MDF architrave and skirting they use these days looking a bit fluffy around the bottom in kitchens and bathrooms where it has soaked up water.

I've used MRMDF kick board in my kitchen and it works well provided you seal it well.

I sprayed mine with a pre-catalysed lacquer, colour matched to the cabinet colour, but if that is beyond your facilities you could try an edge sealer and apply self-adhesive aluminium foil (the stuff they use on insulation board joints) on the bottom and 25mm up the back. I find this stuff sticks like s**t and is totally waterproof.

Back