Mr Chickadee makes a bench.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did think of a problem, it would do my head in having to hammer the holdfast every single time you want to remove the wood to check it for square, that'd be a big timewaster longterm, and not having a quick release on the vice...otherwise it's an impressive build, kind of 18th century though but impressive none the less, some nice joinery in that bench. :D

thetyreman":2zq0ddnk said:
I did think of a problem, it would do my head in having to hammer the holdfast every single time you want to remove the wood to check it for square, that'd be a big timewaster longterm, and not having a quick release on the vice...otherwise it's an impressive build, kind of 18th century though but impressive none the less, some nice joinery in that bench. :D
But that's how holdfasts...work :)

I have a couple of gramercy holdfasts on my bench. It is quick enough to give them a quick tap to release them. Quicker than loosening a clamp, for example.

It is a nice "rustic" bench.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

I watched and enjoyed it too. Very satisfying to hear the sound of the mallet change as the joints snugged up to fit so well.

A nice example of the simplicity and efficiency of hand tools.

so he's finished his Korean floor then. Thought he'd be doing that till next year

Nice to see things done the old way and that you don't need a small fortune in hardware. Would like to see how he cut the thread on the vice screw.
Regards
John

He says the vise screws are flea market finds.

Not hard to make a router jig for the screw. The nut is a bit more difficult.
One can of course purchase a wood-threading kit, but a decent 2" one is around a 1000 Euros.

Back