Moxon Vice Jaw Lining

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stuck some leather I scavenged off of an old sofa on mine, furry side out. Seems to work well.

2nd attempt at replying.....

I recently bought some Benchcrafted vice hardware which came with linings described somewhere as 'crubber'.

It seems to be a nitrile bonded cork and rubber composite gasket material and is available from many sources.

Here's a link to one on ebay: https://ebay.us/3VOIco

I have always used softwood jaws before so too early to say how good this is, but Benchcrafted do seem to know their stuff and if they use it you should be ok.

regards

Colin

I presume that you are talking a woodworking vice here rather than a metalworking vice?

cork times used to be plentiful, but I haven't seen them for a while. suede, leather or cork would all do, with preference to what you have available most easily.

Anything leather leaving the house is stripped of useful material. Old belts for clamp head covers, an old briefcase yielded good heavy leather for vice jaws, etc.

Fitz.

I don't see why you'd want to line your vice with anything unless you were working on really delicate parts. I've used bare birch plywood faces for years and I've never had a problem with them. I suspect you would also lose quite a bit of holding power if you lined them with something like leather, plywood gives a very positive hold.

Mine are plywood, but the rear jaw is proud of the bench front. This does have some disadvantages, but the big advantage, and it's why I did it, is that I can slip over auxilliary vice cheeks. I have a pair lined with carpet, for example. I also have an excellent mortice jig that fits over, too (but I don't use it as I have an even more excellenter mortising jig, yet to be published).
However you arrange it, I do recommend the ability to fit auxilliary jaws.

marcros":1qut22za said:
I presume that you are talking a woodworking vice here rather than a metalworking vice?

cork times used to be plentiful, but I haven't seen them for a while. suede, leather or cork would all do, with preference to what you have available most easily.

Not wishing to sound pedantic but having google come back with flight times and a link to an Irish newspaper I was wondering if that was meant to say Cork tiles?

I think you'll find that there is a strong tradition of using foreign, thicker, papers as softening in gripping scenarios, but that their efficacy deteriorates rapidly, hence the need for speedily expedited copies.

Steve Maskery":3fviot63 said:
I think you'll find that there is a strong tradition of using foreign, thicker, papers as softening in gripping scenarios, but that their efficacy deteriorates rapidly, hence the need for speedily expedited copies.

Steady, the PC brigade might think you're calling the Irish thick!

marcros":3287c8dq said:

The Nitrile Cork sheet is commonly available (I think someone mentioned it earlier). I have it in my vice and I really like it. It seems very resistant to abuse and is grippy.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back