Moving workshop/transporting machines - any tips??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.ukhardwoods.co.uk/product/Have a look at that bunch, not a million miles from Okehampton.

For those moving near Okehampton you must check out Trago Mills, near Newton Abbot
😆🤣 you get some right sorts going to trago 😁 ( me included occasionally )
Its not as cheap as it was, but it is now more professional looking and tidy. The kids love it.
Screws are cheap there!

https://www.ukhardwoods.co.uk/product/Have a look at that bunch, not a million miles from Okehampton.

😆🤣 you get some right sorts going to trago 😁 ( me included occasionally )
Its not as cheap as it was, but it is now more professional looking and tidy. The kids love it.
Screws are cheap there!

I'll be in trouble if I go there on way to holiday! Best go with an empty van!😃😃😃

We moved late 2017 from Essex to Merseyside and are about to move again. All my machinery is on castor bases and went in a tail lift, not a Luton back, and were strapped to van sides and braced with about 3m3 of timber taped into bundles. The cabinet bases allowed me to pack power tools into several of them and get lots of low down weight.
270 miles later everything arrived safely.
We are about to move everything again, this time down to Devon. The only thing I am worried about is the cost. Last time house and workshop across removal van and tail lift came in at £3,700. This time I've had quotes in for between £5,200 and over £10,000. It's the same distance and the same contents. Absolutely barking mad.

Colin

When I moved the cheapest quote was £8400.00 the dearest was £12 K that was for home / Workshop and wood store , After I disposed of three 8 yard skips of stuff , A 17 ton lorry with a 20 foot shipping container on a trailer and 2 Maxi vans :rolleyes:

When I moved the cheapest quote was £8400.00 the dearest was £12 K that was for home / Workshop and wood store , After I disposed of three 8 yard skips of stuff , A 17 ton lorry with a 20 foot shipping container on a trailer and 2 Maxi vans :rolleyes:
Me thinks we did very well with our move from Manchester to Devon , Hired a LW Sprinter for two weeks £ 1,100 , hire of a 20 ft container in Newton Abbot for 3 months £515 ( 3 months due to problems with vendors solictors ) put my workshop there stripped everything down and boxed it up for transport 4 trips 2400 miles in November. On final move day 2 luton vans and 4 guys £2,150 , and hire of a vivaro for three days to empty container £315 . Every thing arrived safely Total cost £4,080 This move was done on the Friday of the big storm 18 Feb and i have a summer project rebuilding my workshop

Me thinks we did very well with our move from Manchester to Devon , Hired a LW Sprinter for two weeks £ 1,100 , hire of a 20 ft container in Newton Abbot for 3 months £515 ( 3 months due to problems with vendors solictors ) put my workshop there stripped everything down and boxed it up for transport 4 trips 2400 miles in November. On final move day 2 luton vans and 4 guys £2,150 , and hire of a vivaro for three days to empty container £315 . Every thing arrived safely Total cost £4,080 This move was done on the Friday of the big storm 18 Feb and i have a summer project rebuilding my workshop
I drove to Dorset that evening brown pants indeed!

I normally like to press on but I took a leasurely rest stop in the services just after Sheffield having seen two lorries blown over. I was in a transit van.

So having seen the advice on here i decided against the dolly i made for the table saw for transport. So i took the plunge and got a decent mobile base for the table saw so atleast it’ll be a lot more secure during transport.

Talk about brown pants, lifting a 300kg ish table saw is not fun. I seesawed it down using a combination of a rolling jack and a toe jack (very useful!)

B165C6E5-C95F-4258-B099-03288FD29F9D.jpeg
AA819CA2-7958-42D2-BC0C-C18F445925E8.jpeg
5937D6B3-BBC8-477F-8D23-AADAE1CACFDB.jpeg
0124A573-B5BF-42D0-A5BE-5914CD513DEA.jpeg
C0711002-3C55-491F-972C-8A2382106108.jpeg
DF37F843-CDF1-47A4-B176-0FCBE2531392.jpeg
5459E07A-655C-491F-B14C-AB7DEE3F574E.jpeg

The mobile base, although a little pricey from Axminster, feels very heavy duty.

u guy's have it easy....lol....
my stuff is still in crates....here, building additional storage...
new build workshop this summer....yaaaaaa.....
the crates u see are 8x4x4 stacked 2 high in a rammed full shed that's 7.5mx7.5m....
a lot of crates....average weight for each crate varies between 1 and 2 tons.....hahaha....
that lot plus 2 collectable tractors and a pick up....in 2x40ft artics was €9500 euros....
not cheap but it don't hurt anymore....
IMG_0068.JPG

100_2532.JPG

For those moving near Okehampton you must check out Trago Mills, near Newton Abbot. A short trek out but I guarantee it will be worth it. I used to live just the other side of the roundabout from it before moving to Cheshire a few years ago, and I used it all the time. Really good for workshop kit outs and the like, plus fitting out a new house. The whole family will like it (it has an amusement park, petting zoo etc.), bargains galore, lots of great kit and probably the best prices you will find anywhere. They sell all of the construction equipment and a lot of softwood, sheet material, plumbing, electrical, the whole lot really. When I left they were about to open a brand new purpose built DIY & Tools building. Oh, and they have one of the best and cheapest garden cetres around the area as well. Probably the main thing we miss about moving away TBH!
Mike i dont know when you moved but there has been a great change at Trago tool section desimated hardly anything there now and prices not so good now , Like you say it used to be the place to visit always made it first stop when visiting MIL now i live here and not on my must visit list , no Selco down here Stax at Bristol to far thank goodness i have retired and make miniatures now got all the tools i need and machines

Thats for the Okehampton bunch, not near us....
Trago, have you been in the build centre bit? Its not amazing, but theres a fair bit of stuff in there, both tools and materials. Screws ( unifix ) are cheap and silicone / foam etc is ok...

Thats for the Okehampton bunch, not near us....
Trago, have you been in the build centre bit? Its not amazing, but theres a fair bit of stuff in there, both tools and materials. Screws ( unifix ) are cheap and silicone / foam etc is ok...
Yea Kev been a couple of times since we have been here its big a bit like Selco , must admit they are prob suffering the aftermath of Brexitcovidsuez with a little bit of Fueltransportputin thrown in . How the world has changed in a few short years

Mike i dont know when you moved but there has been a great change at Trago tool section desimated hardly anything there now and prices not so good now , Like you say it used to be the place to visit always made it first stop when visiting MIL now i live here and not on my must visit list , no Selco down here Stax at Bristol to far thank goodness i have retired and make miniatures now got all the tools i need and machines

Glad you told us that, saves me a potentially waisted trip, thanks.

Thing to remember about moving many machines is that they are extremely top heavy, Take a reasonable size lathe like a Harrison 140 or Colchester Bantam, centre of gravity is roughly level with the tray, so they can topple over very easily.
When this happens you wont stop it & people can get hurt.
A table saw with cast iron top is similarly top heavy. If its on wheels block it up so the wheels are not in contact with the deck of the transport.
Couple of years back my mate & i sold a lathe & the bloke turned up with a trailer that was far too small. We told him it was a death trap but he insisted on loading it. He got a quarter of a mile before a tyre popped & came back, fortunately we had lent him a spare. He was lucky it didnt happen ten minutes later on the main road. We unloade it again & he came back with a decent trailer a few days later.

The irony of Trago suffering from Brexit is hilarious, their MD was an ardent proponent for it whilst employing Polish workers

When I bought a used table saw and 8” jointer at 200 kg each I was going to rent an engine hoist. Luckily I found a used one (2 ton capacity) on kijiji for the price of a weeks rent and it came with an engine balancer. With this and ratchet straps, I loaded the tools on to and off of my trailer and lifted the cast iron top off the table saw for rebuilding of the internals. I have since bought a 300 kg 15” helical planer (surfacer ?) and used the hoist to off load and assemble the unit.

Back