Moving workshop/transporting machines - any tips??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We moved late 2017 from Essex to Merseyside and are about to move again. All my machinery is on castor bases and went in a tail lift, not a Luton back, and were strapped to van sides and braced with about 3m3 of timber taped into bundles. The cabinet bases allowed me to pack power tools into several of them and get lots of low down weight.
270 miles later everything arrived safely.
We are about to move everything again, this time down to Devon. The only thing I am worried about is the cost. Last time house and workshop across removal van and tail lift came in at £3,700. This time I've had quotes in for between £5,200 and over £10,000. It's the same distance and the same contents. Absolutely barking mad.

Colin
We're in the process of moving from Surrey to Devon. Like you, cost is eye watering. Two and a half large vans and approaching six days end to end - and that's with us packing all but the fragile breakable items. One quote was £8500! The other two were more manageable and it's working out at about £7000.

Trouble is, until we get to exchange (not too far away now) - it's all a twinkle in our eyes because there's no guarantee that a given company will be available to do the move on the date requested.

I'm letting the moving company decide upon placement of stuff in the van. I have dollies for some of the big items to make them easier to move in the workshop as it is. I'll leave the option of using them but it seems like it's best to take them off during the drive (but the removers can decide). Luckily, aside from the planer/thicknesser there isn't much heavy machinery. Much of the tools have been boxed and the cabinets have lift out drawers to make moving the units in and out of the vans easier.

We're hoping to end up near Okehampton - where in Devon are you heading eribaMotters?

Wow!!!! I had no idea getting in a moving company would cost so much!! My situation is very different to this. Ending of a relationship meant we wanted to move as soon as we were realistically able to so that meant no onward chain, so i will be putting all of my stuff into storage and temporarily moving back to my parents’ house… which at the age of 35 is going to be very strange, but i guess i’m lucky that i have the opportunity… and while there looking for a new house to buy. So i plan on doing the move myself (with a little help of some friends and family), which i’m dreading!! I plan on hiring a van and moving over the space of a week before completion.

As there will be two moves and storage to think about i thought some very stackable heavy duty boxes were a must, so i bought a load of these boxes, which werent cheap, but worked out a great investment so far, and is the extent of my workshop packing to date…

324DD00D-AB3A-4FF8-9EBD-76C2EB87305B.jpeg

We have a luton for delivering our furniture / units etc and we screw everything to the floor/ siderails and or each other

Those "Really Useful" useful boxes look familiar. We have over 40 so far. I also acquired some of the home delivery boxes which take a good weight.
Ian, we are moving to about 8 miles north of Okehampton, to Hatherleigh. I'm starting to look up timber supplies. I asked in Travis Perkins in Okehampton and they can supply MR mdf and Birch ply at a reasonable price. I believe Latham's in Bristol is the local depot for hardwood and supply the area. I going to chat with one of the building team when I'm down again in a months time, who I believe is into his woodwork so should have contacts. I know for the likes of Toolstation etc it looks like 10/20 miles for me to Bideford or Barnstaple.

Colin

I bought a four wheel trailer and moved every thing at my leasure, then sold the trailer for what I paid for it. also bought an engine lift but kept that for future use.

About to do the same myself although after the stress that was our last home move, this time, we’re having someone else do the move for us. Most of my equipment,they were pleased to see, is wheeled for ease of loading. Logically the easiest way to stop stuff rolling about during transport is simply to lift one end at a time then lower it onto a timber bearer before securing it with straps or dunnage.

Those "Really Useful" useful boxes look familiar. We have over 40 so far. I also acquired some of the home delivery boxes which take a good weight.
Ian, we are moving to about 8 miles north of Okehampton, to Hatherleigh. I'm starting to look up timber supplies. I asked in Travis Perkins in Okehampton and they can supply MR mdf and Birch ply at a reasonable price. I believe Latham's in Bristol is the local depot for hardwood and supply the area. I going to chat with one of the building team when I'm down again in a months time, who I believe is into his woodwork so should have contacts. I know for the likes of Toolstation etc it looks like 10/20 miles for me to Bideford or Barnstaple.

Colin

Thanks for replying Colin - that's excellent. We'll be almost neighbours: If all goes to plan we will be moving to Bow - 11 miles or so east of you.

Suggestions about local wood are very welcome. We wont be buying wood as a business (those days are over), simply as a member of the public. I know that some of the builders merchants can be a bit funny about supplying the public at a reasonable rate. We will have a triple car port with brick on three sides and the front open. I want to infill that, probably with construction frame and tongue and groove timber and glazing, so as to make a workshop. So getting access to a decent wood supplier who will deliver is high priority.

It will be difficult to accept that, where we live now, I have three Screwfix branches within a three mile radius yet, where we will be buying, the nearest one is 20 miles away in Exeter ! - although there is a plan to add one in Crediton soon if planning permission goes ahead. Same will be true for so many things. All of that said, we've had enough of busy roads and I don't need to be close to airports for work anymore. We're looking forward to a more relaxed and properly retired pace of life and to try to join community life rather than blobbing in front of Netflix every evening.

We're in the process of moving from Surrey to Devon. Like you, cost is eye watering. Two and a half large vans and approaching six days end to end - and that's with us packing all but the fragile breakable items. One quote was £8500! The other two were more manageable and it's working out at about £7000.

Trouble is, until we get to exchange (not too far away now) - it's all a twinkle in our eyes because there's no guarantee that a given company will be available to do the move on the date requested.

I'm letting the moving company decide upon placement of stuff in the van. I have dollies for some of the big items to make them easier to move in the workshop as it is. I'll leave the option of using them but it seems like it's best to take them off during the drive (but the removers can decide). Luckily, aside from the planer/thicknesser there isn't much heavy machinery. Much of the tools have been boxed and the cabinets have lift out drawers to make moving the units in and out of the vans easier.

We're hoping to end up near Okehampton - where in Devon are you heading eribaMotters?
We’re in the process of moving close to Okehampton too. Early days so nothing guaranteed yet. We are getting quotes for removals at present and I’ll have to pack the workshop. My machines are relatively small so thinking of making crates.

Colin
We’re just at the beginning of a move to Okehampton too. Think we might have looked at the house you’re buying. See you down there. 😂

I can see an Old Gits of Okehampton club forming. We have a provisional move date Sept 30th as it's a new build bungalow that they have just started working inside on. My timber needs will be just for own and family use as son is in Winkleigh. I have my cabinetwork to build for cupboards, wardrobes etc and then I'll be drawn into stuff for grandchild No1, due soon after our move in date.
Hopefully I'm not the only one looking at things getting better after the last couple of lousy years.

Colin

For those moving near Okehampton you must check out Trago Mills, near Newton Abbot. A short trek out but I guarantee it will be worth it. I used to live just the other side of the roundabout from it before moving to Cheshire a few years ago, and I used it all the time. Really good for workshop kit outs and the like, plus fitting out a new house. The whole family will like it (it has an amusement park, petting zoo etc.), bargains galore, lots of great kit and probably the best prices you will find anywhere. They sell all of the construction equipment and a lot of softwood, sheet material, plumbing, electrical, the whole lot really. When I left they were about to open a brand new purpose built DIY & Tools building. Oh, and they have one of the best and cheapest garden cetres around the area as well. Probably the main thing we miss about moving away TBH!

I bought a four wheel trailer and moved every thing at my leasure, then sold the trailer for what I paid for it. also bought an engine lift but kept that for future use.
I must add this was for lathe/ Milling machine ect,ect.

For those moving near Okehampton you must check out Trago Mills, near Newton Abbot. A short trek out but I guarantee it will be worth it. I used to live just the other side of the roundabout from it before moving to Cheshire a few years ago, and I used it all the time. Really good for workshop kit outs and the like, plus fitting out a new house. The whole family will like it (it has an amusement park, petting zoo etc.), bargains galore, lots of great kit and probably the best prices you will find anywhere. They sell all of the construction equipment and a lot of softwood, sheet material, plumbing, electrical, the whole lot really. When I left they were about to open a brand new purpose built DIY & Tools building. Oh, and they have one of the best and cheapest garden cetres around the area as well. Probably the main thing we miss about moving away TBH!

That brings back memories! Many of my early tools were bought at Trago Mills - some near NA and some at Liskeard. Going back 45 years or more. What's amazing is that I still have most of them!

We often drive past Trago when we visit my dad in Plymouth. There's always banter between my wife and I about going in there. We make a list of things we think we need and it's always the same two items, string and sticky tape. So we decide to drive on. Back when I was young Trago had a reputation for selling a lot of seconds, at cheap prices. I've no idea if it is still like that but, with there being relatively few DIY places in mid Devon, I'm more than happy to drop in there and have a nose around.

.... and not with a view to just buying string and sticky tape.

Just be careful with hiring a Luton van, the one I hired only had a payload of around 1000kg.( I don't know if other are more) I only found this out after offering to remove the contents of a deceased relative garage, and loaded it to the gunnels, the trip back with virtually no breaks was something I don't want to do again! If I were to move all the kit I've got these days I would be looking at a 7.5ton truck.
Take a look on the back of the Hertz 24/7 vans. Mid wheelbase, hi-top transit. 3,500kg mass on the road, which has a 1391kg load capacity. That includes driver and mate/missus/kids/whatever.
Then look at the VW Crafter 35 Luton we have at work. Same road weight of 3,500kg. But a load capacity of 681 kg .... Bit of a difference for some plastic panels and aluminium corner posts!
And also, tail lift (as has already been mentioned). Ours has a 500kg tail lift, but we restrict it to 400kg because of the weight of a pump truck, etc. The 500kg is on the front edge, against the load platform. At the rearmost edge, which is 800mm from the load platform, this drops to 280kg. And the side bars are rated to only 250kg to tie to them ..
My suggestion would be go for a 7.5 tonner if your licence allows by grandfather rights, or you've taken the appropriate licence. Your tail lift will probably then be a 1000kg lift, and up to 1m deep.

Take a look on the back of the Hertz 24/7 vans. Mid wheelbase, hi-top transit. 3,500kg mass on the road, which has a 1391kg load capacity. That includes driver and mate/missus/kids/whatever.
Then look at the VW Crafter 35 Luton we have at work. Same road weight of 3,500kg. But a load capacity of 681 kg .... Bit of a difference for some plastic panels and aluminium corner posts!
And also, tail lift (as has already been mentioned). Ours has a 500kg tail lift, but we restrict it to 400kg because of the weight of a pump truck, etc. The 500kg is on the front edge, against the load platform. At the rearmost edge, which is 800mm from the load platform, this drops to 280kg. And the side bars are rated to only 250kg to tie to them ..
My suggestion would be go for a 7.5 tonner if your licence allows by grandfather rights, or you've taken the appropriate licence. Your tail lift will probably then be a 1000kg lift, and up to 1m deep.
That will be the tail lift surely....?🤔🤔🤔

Hence get a low loader and ditch the tail lift make up a ramp from angle iron or plywood.

A ramp is not really an option into a low loader. Last time I moved all my machinery from the workshop at the bottom of the garden up to the garage for the removal company. Getting a 300kg planer thicknesser up a 250mm step was not fun. It was I admit easier than when a Sedgwick MB had a similar journey that included 60ft of grass, 30ft of gravel, vertically lift onto decking and then down again before down a narrow sideway and up another step into the garage.

Colin

Back