Moving pillar drill around workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
At the moment my Axminster floor standing pillar drill is in my garage. Not ideal, so I have had a major re-arrangement of my workshop (aka clearing a lot of rubbish out) and I can now get the pillar drill into the workshop.

But, I want to screw it to a mobile base that I could make, but am reluctant as it weighs 108kg and in terms of moving it around, will be top heavy.

Any recommendations/ideas as to what the mobile base should be or tricks of the trade!

I was looking at these https://www.axminster.co.uk/accessories ... ries/bases

The problem that I see is that the base of the pillar drill is quite small and would need to be bolted into a thick sheet of MDF or the like, cut to sit in the mobile base. Is that a good idea?

Cheers

Pillar drill is one thing I'm not at all keen on making mobile. For my old one I made a wheeled caddy that fitted around the column to hold all my drill bits, then I could pull it out if I needed full table height.

I’m happy to move around my table saw, planer and bandsaw but not the pillar drill: as you say, it is top heavy and that makes it not worth regularly moving for me.

I needed space between the end of my lathe and the adjacent bench so I can remove the lathe’s tailstock. With some adjustment I found I could get the pillar drill in without loosing space and can still store stuff underneath. I suggest you have a think about what can go where in terms of vertical space as well as horizontal and you may find a space for the drill where you don’t have to move it around.

Back