Moving house

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago I employed a couple of Kiwis and one of them told me he had moved his house like this, apparently it's common practice in NZ.

When my father was small, growing up on a farm in NZ, the farmhouse was moved to make way for a road.
They jacked the house up (they were all on piles) and rolled it on freshly felled tree trunks. I think they pulled it with a bulldozer, probably from the road works. The house would have been a fair bit smaller than those examples.

In the Vancouver area it is common to see several houses on trailers sitting by the Fraser River that came from properties being developed into higher density housing. They get them ready during the day and drive them to the river at night when traffic is light. When they have a few they are rolled onto a big barge and towed by tugboat to properties in the Gulf Islands or Vancouver Island. They tow them ashore and put them on previously prepared foundations. A big win all around. The land developer doesn't have to deal with teardown and disposal. The new home owner gets a sound house in need of a little renovating for a dollar plus a couple hundred thousand give or take (half or a third of the cost of new) and the moving company makes money moving the house.

Pete

Damn you Garno ;) that's 45 minutes of my life gone :eek:

Worth a watch but would be better without the mood music and that song:poop:or what :LOL:

Back