Mouse sander VS orbital sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nedsss

Reaction score
I’m starting a business selling desks made of birch plywood, what electric sander would be best suited for this job? The desks will each be made of 4 separate pieces with a total surface area that needs sanding of 4 metre squared per desk.

I have already got a mouse sander, but wondering whether an orbital sander would be better?

Also, if you have any recommendations on how to leave a nice finish on birch plywood would be great, thank you.

You'll definitely need to sand before finishing and possibly to denib between coats so a random orbit sander will be essential really. Buy the best you can afford, festool or mirka if feeling rich. There's plenty on finishing birch ply if you search the forums, consensus seems to be that oil based finishes will yellow the ply so to maintain colour use water based acrylic or acid catalyzed resin.

Random orbital sander is the way to go, a mouse sander is really for those small jobs (hence the name mouse) that a larger sander cannot easily do because space is limited . You will be there for a week of Sunday's trying to use one on the project you have in mind :)

You will definitely need a 150mm random orbital sander. If you're going to succeed professionally, you will need to produce a high-quality finish very efficiently.
I have a Metabo SXE 450 Turbo Tec (circa £160), it's every bit as good as a Festool or Mirka IMO, perhaps a bit heavier, but that's not something that bothers me. You'll also need very good extraction to hook it up to, the bags they are supplied with are only good for occasional use.

Both good to have, both made for very different tasks within the sanding process. The mouse will be good for edges and corners and the ROS for large areas. If the Festool or Mirka are too much, try looking at the Sealey "Mirkalikee" (See @petermillard 's channel) i got one for Christmas after he got around to reviewing it after a year of hard use. Great value for money.

Last edited:
U
Both good to have, both made for very different tasks within the sanding process. The mouse will be good for edges and corners and the ROS for large areas. If the Festool or Mirka are too much, try looking at the Sealey "Mirkalikee" (See @petermillard 's channel) i got one for Christmas after he go around to reviewing it after a year of hard use. Great value for money.
It’s a great sander! 👍👍

P.S.
Wear tinted safety specs, It can offend the eyes with its colour

After some deliberation and a demo from a friend I opted for the green Mirka, the same as a Mirka Deros but built by Metabo. I've since read that Metabo make the Mirka? Anyway I'm delighted with it and it's around £100 less than the yellow one! I bought mine from FFX but they are out of stock so found it here
Metabo SXE150-5.0 BL 150mm Random Orbit Sander - Protrade

But if you are on a budget then Peter's Hvst sander or the Sealey equivalent looks a good bet (y)

Back