Mounting a woodrat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
The outbuilding aka workshop is made of an oak frame. Fixed onto the frame is a standard stud frame using 4 x2.

frontcorner.jpg

mainmountingarea.jpg

righthandside.jpg

These three pictures show a panaromic view. I didn't fix the studding myself and cannot remember how this was fixed to the oak. Looking at the pictures doesn't seem to reveal many nails!

Insulation, plasterboard and a light skim coat of rough plaster then went over the plasterboard.

I intend to mount the 'rat to this wall as shown on picture two.

I was thinking of using a large sheet of ply screwed to the three stud verticals. Should I try and coach bolt the ply to the oak beam behind as well or just suck it and see whether the studs hold up?

Is it worth using a larger sheet of ply dropping down to the floor beneath the 'rat for other purposes...screwing jigs to, that sort of thing?

What do people think?

Roger

Coupld of pictures of my setup

28453907.jpg

An extermely-not-convenient but surprisingly effective dust extraction system

28617821.jpg

All I could find at short notice.

If you strap it to the studding it'll be fine. It's not that heavy. I can recommend building something to bring it forward of the wall (away from the wall towards you). Seems to have helped on a couple of projects. Make sure you figure enough space left and right for the main arm to protrude. (I didn't :roll: )

A little shelf (top photo top left of picture) is *essential* (IMHO) it comes with loads of bits and bobs and you need somewhere within easy reach. I built a little lip around the shelf to stop things rolling off.

Adam

Hi Roger,

I'm no building expert but - can you still get access to the framework? If so, I would be inclined to fix some noggins of 4x2 in appropriate positions between the stud uprights. These would provide additional strength and stiffness to the stud framework and additional fixing points for your ply mounting board. If you can't get at the framework I guess it is a case of suck it and see, although I would think the larger the board and the more fixing points, the better it would be.

BTW, super outlook. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Adam

Many thanks for the pictures. Was there any reason why you used what looks like a melamine board...also it appears to go all the way to the floor..any reason?

I like the idea of the shelf. It highlights how I need to change my thinking with the rat. Things happen *below* rather than *on top* with a router table. So plenty of room up top.

Trev.. no, it's all plasterboarded and bricked up. Thanks...it's looking out in your direction.

Roger

rsinden":3f6ig3sr said:
Adam

Many thanks for the pictures. Was there any reason why you used what looks like a melamine board...also it appears to go all the way to the floor..any reason?

I like the idea of the shelf. It highlights how I need to change my thinking with the rat. Things happen *below* rather than *on top* with a router table. So plenty of room up top.

Trev.. no, it's all plasterboarded and bricked up. Thanks...it's looking out in your direction.

Roger

It's just chipboard that forms the inside of all the walls of my workshop - similar to the plasterboard you describe. Their is 2 x 4 studding on the other side of it.

I can recommend always wearing goggles when using a woodrat - its tempting to peek underneath now and again. And mount it really really high. You won't regret it.

Adam

Back