Mountain Lion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harbo":3nc8i7co said:
Anybody upgraded to ML yet - doesn't seem that expensive at £13?

I don't plan to, thanks to the scam they're trying to pull with the app store/frightening users into buying only from them.

If they don't go back on it, I doubt I'll buy a Mac again... and knowing the pack of scumbags Apple have become in recent years, I doubt they're going to go back on it.

Harbo":3cfjgf3v said:
Anybody upgraded to ML yet - doesn't seem that expensive at £13?
Not yet, but I plan to when I'm back from hols; if it'll run on your hardware, why not?

JakeS":3cfjgf3v said:
I don't plan to, thanks to the scam they're trying to pull with the app store/frightening users into buying only from them. If they don't go back on it, I doubt I'll buy a Mac again... and knowing the pack of scumbags Apple have become in recent years, I doubt they're going to go back on it.
I'm sure they'll miss your business, lol! Seriously, if you're talking about Gatekeeper then what you say is nonsense - this control-panel-alike (i.e. you can switch it off) lets you be selective about what can be installed on a Mac running Mountain Lion - e.g. apps from Mac App store only, Mac App Store and identified developers, or apps from anywhere.

Wish my parents had it on their iMac - actually, for £13 they probably will ;)

MickCheese":1tje2f4q said:
WHat are you on about?

Latest release of OSX, for the Mac.

petermillard":1tje2f4q said:
Seriously, if you're talking about Gatekeeper then what you say is nonsense - this control-panel-alike (i.e. you can switch it off) lets you be selective about what can be installed on a Mac running Mountain Lion - e.g. apps from Mac App store only, Mac App Store and identified developers, or apps from anywhere.

Except that from what I've read, the default message that users see when they try and run an application which isn't from the App Store is something along the lines of "This application can't be trusted; you should move it to the trash". Not anything like the "Are you sure you want to run this application?" that Windows gives you, but direct advice: "you should move it to the trash". You can turn it off for now, but most users - especially the less-technical kind of people that are more likely to buy Macs - are quite likely to not even understand that you can turn that off, let alone feel like it's safe to do so after the operating system has told them in no uncertain terms that running the application is unsafe and should not be done.

It's very clearly an attempt to scaremonger their way into getting their cut from every single software purchase for the platform, and personally I find it disgusting. Particularly so in light of the complete lack of consistency in the way they allow or disallow apps in the App Store and iTunes store, and the fact developers are charged for even offering an app in the first place. If they keep it in its present state, I have little doubt that in the next release, once people have got used to it, you won't even be able to turn it off.

I can already be selective about what I install on my Mac, I don't need the help of a popup which is essentially saying "you shouldn't run that application because nobody paid us for it". It's almost a protection racket.

JakeS":2yvslr14 said:
MickCheese":2yvslr14 said:
WHat are you on about?

Latest release of OSX, for the Mac.

petermillard":2yvslr14 said:
Seriously, if you're talking about Gatekeeper then what you say is nonsense - this control-panel-alike (i.e. you can switch it off) lets you be selective about what can be installed on a Mac running Mountain Lion - e.g. apps from Mac App store only, Mac App Store and identified developers, or apps from anywhere.

Except that from what I've read, the default message that users see when they try and run an application which isn't from the App Store is something along the lines of "This application can't be trusted; you should move it to the trash". Not anything like the "Are you sure you want to run this application?" that Windows gives you, but direct advice: "you should move it to the trash". You can turn it off for now, but most users - especially the less-technical kind of people that are more likely to buy Macs - are quite likely to not even understand that you can turn that off, let alone feel like it's safe to do so after the operating system has told them in no uncertain terms that running the application is unsafe and should not be done.

It's very clearly an attempt to scaremonger their way into getting their cut from every single software purchase for the platform, and personally I find it disgusting. Particularly so in light of the complete lack of consistency in the way they allow or disallow apps in the App Store and iTunes store, and the fact developers are charged for even offering an app in the first place. If they keep it in its present state, I have little doubt that in the next release, once people have got used to it, you won't even be able to turn it off.

I can already be selective about what I install on my Mac, I don't need the help of a popup which is essentially saying "you shouldn't run that application because nobody paid us for it". It's almost a protection racket.

On a bit of a high horse, aren't we? Can't really see what the fuss is about. I'm sure that there are plenty of relatively naive users out there who are perfectly happy with the way things are - indeed prefer it this way.

As for Mountain Lion...same answer as for Lion...I have too many older programs that I occasionally use but which won't work on Lion or later.

RogerS":8dc3x454 said:
On a bit of a high horse, aren't we? Can't really see what the fuss is about.

Begin condescending is a bit unbecoming, Roger...

If you're happy for other people to censor which software you can and can't use on your own computer, and manipulate people's fear to line their pockets, that's your lookout. I hope you're happy, and I'm sure there are enough people like you to sustain Apple's business model. Particularly since the naïve ones are the ones more likely to pay their prices in order to get a false sense of security.

I'm not happy with all that, so I'm not buying any more Apple computers or operating systems until they quit it. I like their OS, I like their hardware, but I don't like their attitude, and I can't morally justify supporting such a company with my purchases. In the same way that I wouldn't buy a TV upon which I could only watch programmes specially-licensed by Sony, I wouldn't buy a car or motorbike that refused to start if I didn't use Honda-authorised tires, and if they somehow managed to work out the technology, I wouldn't buy a bandsaw which automatically turned itself off as soon as I put a bit of wood through it that I didn't buy from a 'certified' supplier who has to kick back 30% of their timber sales profits to Record or whoever.

(I expect the upshot of it is that the Mac will lose a lot of the more useful bits of software that it has, and it'll become a less attractive platform as a result. Those little utilities given away for free become harder to justify for the developer when he has to purchase an App Store Developer subscription to distribute them, and all those helpful utilities which replace the useless bits of OSX (like, say, Finder) will be gone because Apple has already made it clear they're not happy for applications which replicate functionality in their products to be on their App Store.)

Latest posts

Back