Moulding Supplier

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblycogs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm fixing up a doorway in our tumble down house due to some bodge it and scarper modifications the original moulding on doorway is long gone and had been placed with the ubiquitous modern skirting board half round stuff.

I would like to replace with with moulding that is more in keeping with the house. The other doors have their original moulding which is approx 38 wide by 24 tall (presumably 1.5"x1") and a fancy Ogee profile. Looking around this seem to be a fairly uncommon size now. The closest I've found is 50 wide by 25 tall. I can't justify the cost of getting some custom made so I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a company that stocks a good range of profiles.

The profile I'm trying to match is about that shown below. Cheers.

Attachments

• path2985.png
    path2985.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 65
That's a really odd profile. Very deep and also very thin! I think your chances of finding it as a stock item are slim. You could try architectural salvage yards, but it's probably the sort of thing that even now would just be skipped or burnt.
Your best bet (seriously) is to get a rebate plane and a couple of hollows and rounds and make it yourself. The best and most enthusiastic on-line guide to doing this is Matt Bickford - have a look at his blog http://musingsfrombigpink.blogspot.co.uk and also search on here.

Nice moulding but far too large I'm looking for about 38mm on the long edge.

Looking through their catalogue this is exactly the profile I want

http://www.championtimber.com/quote-builder-product-detail.aspx?id=2563PA198
image.jpg

but 25x38 rather than 25x63.

EDIT

Just noticed that Stormer has found the same profile, thanks.

In the fullness of time I will probably try making an exact match but right now I don't have the sort of workshop where that's an option :-(

Back