motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny23

Reaction score
I've been given a woodturning lathe plus some gouges but no motor for the lathe can anyone help me to locate a motor . I was thinking of a washing machine motor torqued down? but not sure.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Dan
(recently retired)

I took the motor out of our old washing machine a few weeks back, with the thought that it might be useful to someone with better electrical skills than me (it has several wires going into it and I have no idea how you would actually make it work). I'm not that near you, but you're welcome to it if you think it could be any good to you. Or if you don't want it, anyone else is welcome too.

I've won a couple off Ebay lately, for different projects. A few of things to watch-out for :- make sure it spins the right way (they aren't all reversible), make sure it has enough spindle protruding on the end you need to use, check it's the right speed (most seem to be 1400rpm, but 2800 rpm is quite common too), make sure it's powerful enough (hobby lathes usually need between 1/2 and 1 horsepower). Axminster (and others) do a nice NVR switch - you don't want it stopping in a power-cut, and starting-up again of it's own accord when you've gone to bed and the power comes back on...

HTH

Morning Dan and welcome to the slope. :)

Do you know the make and model of the lathe?

You could post a picture (after a few posts) if you don't know.

Cheers

Dave

Hello Dan ,
I have a motor it's on a lathe like this .. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... -060614016 .but an older model,I payed £40 for it ,intending to make a drum sander from it but i just don't have the time now .
The bad news is ....It's at my house in Spain and i can't get it back to the UK till the end of May ....Let me know if you're interested and i'll bring it back then ...Allan

Hello all,
Many many thanks to all of you I was amazed at the response I recieved.
I will look at all the links you have given me.
The lathe consists of , Base,Headstock,tailstock, the legs I had to remove due to woodworm! (replaced with 2 metal stands)yes folks it's that old.
Once again many thanks.
Danny

nev":5q26kke1 said:
Danny23":5q26kke1 said:
....yes folks it's that old...

...So are most of the folks on here (and suffering from woodworm too) :twisted:
Aah Nev, you could have said some were spalted everyone loves a bit of spalted :lol: but woodworms are worse than rotten :cry: :cry: .I've just me shed cleared and all timber burned because of them little s'##t's :cry: :cry:

Latest posts

Back