Motor replacement Bandsaw Startrite 301?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theartfulbodger

Established Member
Reaction score
Silly question time!

The local freecycle is offering a Startrite 301 Bandsaw :ho2 I'm so very tempted to give it a new home!

But it may need some fettling...

"Bandsaw Startrite 301. Not in working order. Needs repair to electrics and/or new motor."

Without seeing it .... what's a rough idea of the price and availability of a new motor? I imagine I could bodge my way round fitting it.

Many thanks in advance of any wisdom.

Firstly, just go and collect it. Secondly use the Yellow Pages and look for "Armature Rewinds" locally. Take the motor in and have them test it. From memory the 301/Bandit is ony a 3/4 hp about 550 watt motor. If the motor is shot they may have an off the shelf replacement available with a few more watts, or advise a rewind. Its a long time since I have had this done, but guessing £60 for the rewind. A NVR from Axminster would be about £20. The bandsaw in full working order, good condition has to be £300+

Colin

I upgraded the motor on my startrite 351 a few years ago using goldcrest technologies on ebay, very helpful guy. Went from one and a half hp to three hp and cost around £100 all in including new pulley wheel and taper lock as the motor shaft size was different. Prices may have changed now, but for a smaller motor would be surprised if you couldn't still get one for well under that kind of money......

Cheers, Paul

Back