motor refurb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearless_chef

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm the proud new owner of a 3 phase startrite ta 145 and in the process of cleaning / checking. I've ended up stripping down the motor and noticed a bearing is a little rough so I will be replacing. I'm a design engineer by trade but motors aren't my speciality, can some 1 tell me if the wear markings are catastrophic or serviceable.
I need to buy a vfd to get the damned thing to work in my garage before I start so is it worth replacing the old school motor for a new single phase 1 or is there some life left it in? with a clean and new bearings
20211210_163513.jpg

Attachments

• 20211210_163506.jpg
    20211210_163506.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211210_163503.jpg
    20211210_163503.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211210_163458.jpg
    20211210_163458.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 9
Personally, I like 3 phase motors spun from a VFD. They feel smoother to me and there's no centrifugal switch to go wrong.
So, if you are happy going the VFD route, I'd have a go at fixing the motor. It looks worthwhile cleaning it up and there's not much money at risk. Scotchbrite or gentle wire brushing on the rotor and the two ends. Just a soft brush / comp air or a hoover to clean out the windings. Don't damage the wires :)
The bearings should be pretty cheap and easy to source from many places. Simplybearings, Bearingboys and BearingsRus have all provided good service to me in the past.
Take a note of where the big 'wave' slightly sprung washer goes for reassembly. It's on the fan end of the motor, not the spindle end.
Also, look to see if there are any small punch marks or similar that will guide you to replacing the two ends in the same orientation as they came off. It's common to find these if the motor has had it's bearings replaced before.

Personally, I like 3 phase motors spun from a VFD. They feel smoother to me and there's no centrifugal switch to go wrong.
So, if you are happy going the VFD route, I'd have a go at fixing the motor. It looks worthwhile cleaning it up and there's not much money at risk. Scotchbrite or gentle wire brushing on the rotor and the two ends. Just a soft brush / comp air or a hoover to clean out the windings. Don't damage the wires :)
The bearings should be pretty cheap and easy to source from many places. Simplybearings, Bearingboys and BearingsRus have all provided good service to me in the past.
Take a note of where the big 'wave' slightly sprung washer goes for reassembly. It's on the fan end of the motor, not the spindle end.
Also, look to see if there are any small punch marks or similar that will guide you to replacing the two ends in the same orientation as they came off. It's common to find these if the motor has had it's bearings replaced before.
thanks for your response, given me the confidence to strip de grease replace bearings and re assemble. not a tricky process but re fitting the double pulley on the shaft afterwards turned into a nightmare, think the aluminium had been heated before pressing back onto the shaft. then its keyed and grub screwed so they really didn't want it to come off.

Back