Motor capacitor required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canonman

Reaction score
Hi all. Just joined and also have Elu DB180 lathe. I believe the capacitor on the motor has failed as the motor needs a spin to start it. Does anyone have the details for the capacitor as the printing on mine has rubbed off and also who might supply a replacement. Many thanks in advance. Nick

Hi CHJ. Many thanks for the information. I will certainly check out that one. The terminals are tags so that one looks like a match. Nick

Managed to get a suitable one from Maplins. They had them in stock and at just over £4 it was a good deal. Working great with no problem.

Welcome to the forum Canonman.

Like you I started with an ELU 180DB and had to replace the capacitor. I also found that a couple of months later the relay switch in the control box burnt out so it may be worth checking that it is ok. I have yet to replace mine as I managed to get hold of a lathe with a swivel head stock in the same week so the ELU is now in pieces waiting for me to get around to fixing it. I hope you have great fun with your ELU. Mine certainly got me hooked on turning so is a good starting point.

I would suggest that if you have any questions it is a good idea to search these posts as I have found that almost everything has been covered at some time or other. If not I am certain that one of the excellent members will be able to help.

Thank you for the warm welcome to the forums and quick responses. The capacitor details are 30mF 450v working motor run capacitor. It has four tags which were a bit confusing at first but on using a test meter it seems that they work as two pairs so allowing further connections if required. The original plastic terminal cover also fitted perfectly into a groove around the top of the capacitor. The fixing to the motor frame is by a threaded stud at the base. The guy at Maplins in Chesterfield couldn't have been more helpful in assisting me in selecting the correct component.
I have checked out the relay in the NVR switch and cleaned the contacts just in case. I now hope to have a useful wood turning lathe as until I obtained this one I have been using a Myford metalworking lathe for any small woodturning (as well as normal metalwork projects) using a home made tool rest for the wood chisels. Although I managed to do a few projects the new lathe certainly makes wood turning easier.
Once again thanks for the welcome and I look forward to using the forums.

Many thanks for the info on the capacitor. The Elu lathe is great, I have had mine for over 25 years, and made extra tool stands, supports and tool rests. I use an auto 4 jaw chuck, from Axminster and a couple of Craft Supplies multi chucks.

Back