motor advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was pondering on the idea of makeing a blower like the one on bill pentz's site. I have a motor which I bought in a fit a stupidity thinking it would be suitable for a planer, which it was not. The motor is 1.5kw which I think is about 2hp. It has flange mounting which would be good. One concern I have is the shaft is quite thin, only about .75 inch. What do people think? If its no good I'll just put it back under the workbench untill I find a use for it.

motor1.jpg

motor2.jpg

motor3.jpg

Should be OK on the high speed - 2 pole setting. Biggest problem I think will be finding an impeller/snail casing to suit.

I use a 14" impeller on a 3hp motor so you possibly need a 12" ? I think Pentz quotes impeller sizes Vs HP somewhere on his Maze of a website.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I am trying to improve extraction at my machines. At the moment I have 1hp chip collector connected to 45 gallon barrel acting like a thien filter and then exhausting outside. Ok in summer but cold in winter. I want something that is going to move enough air to service the extraction hood of my RAS and then planer and saw bench. Do you think this might be upto the task. I will be adding a cyclone and exhausting inside with filters. Does your 3hp setup manage to move the magic 1000CFM as per bill pentz's site
Mark

Hmm! To be honest mark, I don't know. Mine copes tolerably well with a DW RAS which has about a 40mm port and a short length of 40mm hose before going up to 110mm soil pipe.
It works well with my planer which is 25m or so away from the cyclone. The only time that blocked was when I was taking heavy cuts on freshly felled apple wood.
I've got no way of measuring air flow and in any case my cyclone has the wrong angle according to pentz. I have the IKEA flowerpot design as made by the late Barry Burgess whose write up is still on this forum.

The main things is that it works and the filters only get a clean out every few years.

Good Luck

Bob

Back