Most people would go to casualty...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
A lost Giacometti sculpture has been authenticated. It was on the "Fake or Fortune" programme last winter, and that ended inconclusively, but it's now been confirmed as genuine, netting the owners a lot of money.

The story is covered in the Telegraph today, but their piece made me roar with laughter. Clearly they no longer have sub-editors to check things before publication, leading to this priceless sentence:

The sculptor was knocked off a mantlepiece by the family cat in the 1960s, and was repaired by the owner’s grandfather with some Polyfilla and household paint.

Most people would probably prefer a trip to casualty, I'd expect...

That's the problem with using spell checkers instead of proofreaders.

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

phil.p":pm2mgvc5 said:

My English isn't too bad (Despite the D in My GCSE :lol:) But I like to use the Grammarly browser add-on as it does pick up things that I might miss like using the wrong words, punctuations, etc. Far better than a standard spell-checker but you do have to watch out for the Americanisms where it will change aluminium to aluminum and put a Z instead of an S in words such as acclimatise.

None of them are perfect though, even humans will miss stuff :lol:

Trevanion":2p85810t said:
phil.p":2p85810t said:

My English isn't too bad (Despite the D in My GCSE :lol:) But I like to use the Grammarly browser add-on as it does pick up things that I might miss like using the wrong words, punctuations, etc. Far better than a standard spell-checker but you do have to watch out for the Americanisms where it will change aluminium to aluminum and put a Z instead of an S in words such as acclimatise.

None of them are perfect though, even humans will miss stuff :lol:

Attack of the mutant apostrophe annoys me most - I know the difference between "its" and "it's", but my autocorrect has no idea. I also miss letters, mistype, and generally fail to spell things correctly, but I am sure that half of these errors are made up by the machine. I mean - it can't possibly be me, can it?

Eric The Viking":3t2ea4rg said:
A lost Giacometti sculpture has been authenticated. It was on the "Fake or Fortune" programme last winter, and that ended inconclusively, but it's now been confirmed as genuine, netting the owners a lot of money.

The story is covered in the Telegraph today, but their piece made me roar with laughter. Clearly they no longer have sub-editors to check things before publication, leading to this priceless sentence:

The sculptor was knocked off a mantlepiece by the family cat in the 1960s, and was repaired by the owner’s grandfather with some Polyfilla and household paint.

Most people would probably prefer a trip to casualty, I'd expect...

Well ... cosmetic surgery can be pricy can't it.

Back