Most painful mistake??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started turning I was sanding something between centres with gloves on because I have white finger and it was cold. Glove caught and ripped off my hand, luckily fingers still attached to hand.
Kickback on saw, I didn't push the piece of timber past the fence. I could here a little noise as the blade was slightly catching the timber then wack piece of wood in belly
When I first built my workshop I was stacking bags of cement when they fell on top of me pinning me to the floor
Fixing my landrover, I didn't have the wheels chocked properly and when you take the halfshaft out the handbrake stops working and the landy ran over my leg and went down the road crashing into someones car. Luckily nothing broken
Building my workshop with trench blocks, it was raining and muddy so I put my wellies on. Wellies were not stealys, dropped block and squished big toe, open fracture. 4 weeks off work

wallace":1v406swn said:
When I first started turning I was sanding something between centres with gloves on because I have white finger and it was cold. Glove caught and ripped off my hand, luckily fingers still attached to hand.
Kickback on saw, I didn't push the piece of timber past the fence. I could here a little noise as the blade was slightly catching the timber then wack piece of wood in belly
When I first built my workshop I was stacking bags of cement when they fell on top of me pinning me to the floor
Fixing my landrover, I didn't have the wheels chocked properly and when you take the halfshaft out the handbrake stops working and the landy ran over my leg and went down the road crashing into someones car. Luckily nothing broken
Building my workshop with trench blocks, it was raining and muddy so I put my wellies on. Wellies were not stealys, dropped block and squished big toe, open fracture. 4 weeks off work

Some people are beyond help! :wink: :lol:

Nah I'm just too poor I have to do everything myself. Learn how to lay blocks, fix landrovers, loft conversion, fit central heating. The good thing is I learn from my mistakes, that must mean I'm really clever :lol:

No injury incurred but could have been nasty

Today, was rushing to get this months entry done, it was freezing so had thermals, t shirt and jumper on

Jumper is old and had baggy sleeves!!!!

Jumper sleeve got caught and wrapped round my turning, ripped the jumper to shreds got a nasty bump on the side of my hand, but nothing really nasty

Lessons learnt:

Don't try and rush (as already said)
switch the radiator on to warm some feeling into the fingers
but mainly..... no baggy clothing..... I know this already but the rushing made me think "oh I wont be too long, this jumper will be ok!!"

i'll try and be brief.

put a handsaw thru the back of my left hand,(dont ask how) 2'' cut through to veins and tendons, none hit luckily.

shrapnel wound to back of left thigh from using hammer and bolster chisel. i can hang a bunch of keys on the back of my leg with a magnet wearing trousers! ace party trick!!!

managed to insert a 2 ½ '' screw through my left index finger using an impact driver.

i have also hit a finger with a 90mm paslode nail gun, the nail hit a knot and skewed off centre.

i've also had a split in a plywood board, yanked by a labourer, pierce my hand twice stitching the fleshy part of my palm to the fleshy part of my thumb.

lathe wise,
took ½ '' of skin off my little finger with a square glue block. (was watching the piece not the block)
still new to this so plenty of accidents to come i fear.

is it too late to change my forum name to dangerous brian? :D

I went to the local minor injuries unit after my table saw snatched a piece of wood and pulled my thumb into it (no serious damage, luckily). The young nurse asked if I had been there before - "oh, yes" I replied "I was here about six weeks ago". She asked what for. "I jammed a 9" diamond disc in a concrete block, and disc cutter jumped and the disc hit me in the centre of my shin"
"Oh, God - are you sure you should be allowed near these things!" It has made me a little more careful.

Brian I thought I was unlucky, I did work for a company 'chep' that repaired pallets and we used air nailers. I always remember the ricochets that would fly into your face. The amount of times I have seen new starters nail their hand to a pallet. We used to have people going to hospital with nails bounced off and going into legs, head, through cheek. This was a regular event untill people started submitting personal injury claims and then stanley bostitch modified their guns.

I knocked the end off my thumb because I forgot that when turning outboard the work is revolving in the opposite direction. I introduced the tool at 9 o'clock and instantly it was at 3 o'clock with my thumb between it and the tool rest.

at college 20 years ago...

During a metal work class I was tightening the small grub screws on a die holder (tap n die) and I had the die holder in my left hand and was pressing down with a flat blade screwdriver in my right hand. Screwdriver slipped off the grub screw and went through palm of hand... came out the other side. Missed all the tendons somehow. Teacher pulled it out straight away. Funny thing is I never felt it really until the hospital cleaned it up.

Then I had a near miss once. I left the chuck key in the lathe chuck while I fetched a cuppa. Returned to lathe and switched it on. chuck key left the chuck and sailed across the workshop at about 6 foot height, left a large dent in a filing cabinet

A few years ago at uni i was using a large belt sander with a p80 ish belt. I was doing a repetative job and was trying to rush. Pushed a little too hard, the work was ripped out of my hands and I punched the belt with all my weight. I sanded a few mm deep of skin off all the knuckles, finger joints, and most of the length of my index finger of my right hand. I looked at it, picked up my work, walked over to a technician and had a small chat about how it looked pretty nasty befor passing right out. haha that workshop floor was nice and cold on my face as i woke up.

About 35 years ago I slipped when using a junior hacksaw and sawed the top of my left thumb down to the bone OUCH! My partner was no help at all as the blood spurted - he just shouted at me about how stupid I was, leaving me to run to the kitchen, shove the bleeding thumb under the cold tap for absolutely ages, and then bind it up with some bandages on my own. I realised later on (as he handed me a glass of brandy) that he was neither cruel nor insensitive - just very squeamish and rather shocked by the sight of the blood! The thumb healed up ok and needed no medical intervention.

More recently, I was using a large belt sanding machine and trying to finish some rounded corners a small piece of wood and was paying too much attention to the shape and not enough to where my fingers were and the inevitable happened - the knuckle of my little finger met the sanding belt - OUCH! and the wood was fired across the workshop at high velocity. It was a tiny little wound really, but hurt for ages and took a while to heal up. The piece of wood, surprisingly, survived undamaged. Rather than slam into the floor or wall, it flew into a sack of woodshavings awaiting disposal.

Latest posts

Back