Mortising Jig For Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I followed the jig competition with interest.

Because of my set up, (rudimentary construction table saw and very basic bench, {uneven top} and vice facility) I wanted to find an accurate yet cheap way for mortising with a router.

I considered a horizontal router table ( to pricey) and several other jigs which my set up unfortunately did not encourage.

However, after trawling the web I think I have found my answer. I will include a photo when I have finished it but here it is so far
mortjig.JPG

Just need to finish off the stop blocks

It fits in your vice and will allow mortises up to 6"long and (6"deep if you have a cutter that long.)

The link for the jig isHERE

Much other useful stuff also.

You are looking for "Tade Frig's Mortising Jig" under 'Routers.'

Hope this helps others

cheers :)

billzee

Hi Billzee

Looking forward to the finished item.
Did you look at Pat Warner's jigs? He has a very nice morticing jig as does our Aussie member rockerau (see his posts)

Why not build a router table? The plywood will only cost £20-30

Cheers

Tony

HI Billzee
Looks like some very useful info there, I'll bookmark it.

For router mortising, I use a pair of cheeks which slip over my vice. They have Formica top faces, so the router slides easily, and adjustable stops for repeat cuts. I currently used two fences attached on long rods for my router, but I'm thinking of doing away with them altogether, and having a piece of 12mm ply with adjustable guides underneath, and a cutout for my router base. That way the only setup on the router itself will be changing the bit and setting the depth. The router will just drop into the guide plate and ride on the top of the cheeks as before

If you are interested, you can find a picture and Autocad drawing on my site. Go to the Resources page.

I kept meaning to submit this as my contribution to the comp, but the only tuit I had was a square one.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Tony

no, I haven't seen Pat warners jigs ( I have heard of em).

I had intended to make the mortising jig/horizontal table from a book called 'Classic Joints from Powertools' by Yeung Chan ( great book BTW) but it required a better bench than I possess @ the mo ( its held in vice with the bench as supporting base) .

I had also considered Rockereau's jig and fine though it is plumped for the Tage Frid one because it suited my requirements best.

Did you check the link and study it. Its extremely simple but appears to be all that is needed for routing virtually any size mortice.

Considered also building a horizontal table but as said the selected jig supported all my requirements.

cheers

billzee

Hi steve

some good stuff on your page.

About the jigs, funny isn't it, there like buses I think. Been looking for one to suit for ages, then 3 come along together :lol:

The tage frid one is very simple but extremely versatile, at least it looks it.

I just have to cut the slots in the stop blocks and fit them and I'm there.

cheers

billzee

billzee,

Dunno how this one slipped by; pesky "new post" thingie letting me down again. Anyway, looks good. The simple ones are often the best aren't they? :D Presumably packing pieces are used to raise the work as necessary? Hmm, with that depth to play with you could have all sorts of fun with angled pieces and such too. Deceptively simple in fact. Interesting page of stuff as well; need to have a roam around when I get a tuit.

As I happened across these pics today, and 'cos it might be handy for the archive to have them all together, here's the late Roy Sutton's take on the problem too (hope you don't mind, billzee?):
Suttonjig1.jpg

Suttonjig5.jpg

And yes, that is a Power Devil router. What can I say? It was a moment of madness... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Hello alf

Roy suttons jig looks a real snazzy job, a tad more complicated maybe to construct but does look the biz.

Yep, packing pieces and clamps, but its all in the article.

That power devil reminds me very strongly of my ferm router, right down to the fence, nice and cheap but fairly effective in my experience and quite adequate for my occasional forays with the router

Pity they don't make a 1/2" one.

cheers

billzee

billzee":5nqmbs4i said:
Dial up connection, so I tend to get impatient before things load... :oops:

billzee":5nqmbs4i said:
quite adequate for my occasional forays with the router
If only its plunge lock was reliable, I'd have no complaints. :(

Cheers, Alf

On reflection, packing pieces although suggested are probably not required as the clamps in most cases will do the trick. If you have a decent cutter you should not have to bare down that hard to cut the mortise and clamps should be adequate.

Experience will tell , as usual

Dial up connection, so I tend to get impatient before things load...

Yep, same here, but its only a small .pdf file. If you have a download manager you can right click the link and paste the url and download the file, then provided you have an adobe reader you can either keep the file or print it

Of course you can print anyway but the d/l manager allows you to save the file, something which is impossible with only an adobe reader.

If only its plunge lock was reliable, I'd have no complaints

I have had no probs on that score thankfully.( touching wood of course).

billzee":3irhq9sp said:
Alas, talking to shadows!
Au contraire. Just listening instead of nattering for once. :)

An example of how the plunge lock let me down can be found here. So definitely worth keeping an eye on it! :(

Cheers, Alf

So definitely worth keeping an eye on it!

Oi Vey....

Reminds me of my first project.. same router (a b/day pressy....honest) different prob... caused by them @&%$£# poxy Record speed clamps backing off, letting the straight edge guides move all over the place. :evil:

Ok, jigs done

Ist pic: Work piece clamped

mortjig2.JPG

2nd pic: Router mounted and ready to go.

mortjig4.JPG

The jig works great and I commend it to anyone who is interested.

cheers

billzee

Billzee,

Glad it's working for you. It looks wide enough to take the legs for a new bench, so you will be able to make that next and the uneven top will be a thing of the past!

Chris

didn't I just know that that was coming :lol:

I know I should but just can't bite the bullet @ the mo

Hi folks

I have cut quite a few mortices with the jig and I am well pleased with it.

cheers

billzee

PS. Tony is answering my posts here as if everything is hunky dory, but in fact the mods are deleting my posts and also 3 of my pm's last night.

What you read from now on will all be doctored. I have been gagged in all but name

What a palava, just to supress the truth :lol:

Nice one Bill. On the subject of router problems (see last page) I have recently invested in a nice small Trend T3 for cutting slots to inlay strips of mahogany.

Used it once and the on/off switch broke :evil:

Broke in the ON position and I couldn't turn it off - had to hit the switch on the socket - very dangerous. pipper!!!!

billzee,

We are unable to delete PMs, even if we wanted to. Which we don't.

Tony is answering your posts as if nothing had happened to give you the opportunity to get on with life on this board and stop boring us all to death. Do yourself a favour, and take the opportunity.

Alf

You have your ball back Alf, but do me a favour, don't insult my intelligence any longer

The last main post that was deleted was closely argued and moderate.

It was neither insulting or abusive or incorrect. If it had of been you would have let it be

It was an important post because I believed it showed the moderation policy here in all its partialness and unfairness

That is why it was deleted

As I say, my case is proven

...but hey, give it a break with the kidology.

Latest posts

Back