Mortising attachments?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilipL

Established Member
Reaction score
I had an Axminster mortising machine which was used to make about 6 garage sized doors over 20 years, but I sold it when I downsized. I now need to make another door. I supposed I could do it by hand but wonder whether bench drill attachments are any good for intermittent use? If so, which would you recommend?

Last edited:
I sold mine as well.....
but I now have a qual drill press so will use a decent up cut bit to hog out the waste and clean up by hand.....
have been known to leave the rounded end mortices as is....

I sold mine as well.....
but I now have a qual drill press so will use a decent up cut bit to hog out the waste and clean up by hand.....
have been known to leave the rounded end mortices as is....
I have taken to leaving the mortice ends round also. Takes a lot less time to round the tenon with a rasp than square up the mortice.
Only time I had a hankering for a morticer was making a bed that had about 40 M&Ts but I knew that after that It would not see enough use to be justified.
Regards
John

Never used a bench drill attachment but see no reason it would not work providing its a reasonable quality machine, some 50 years ago I used a Bridges drill in a stand to “rout” out the stair treads on a staircase, needs must at the time and it worked just fine, also drilled out the mortises in the newels and finished by hand.
Recently we did a staircase for my sons house and used a 1/2” router with a jig to cut them, worked a treat.

I have an Axminster morticing kit that you bolt onto a pillar drill. I bought it second hand, I've never used it (i bought a dedicated morticer after that)
If you want it, it's yours for the price of postage and a small donation of your choice to GOSH charity.

I can send you pics and the weight, so you can decide. Feel free to PM me

Back