Mortiser or Domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, there's a lot of it about. Too much. Glad I won't need to put up with much more of it TBH

I don't think that gas boilers aren't that bad, especially as a lot of them are now hydrogen ready, but that's a different discussion

I think this shows how versatile the Panto is, not sure why you would want curved M&T's except decorative.

1641224838737.png

I agree the less jigged something is the more versatile It can potentially be. I'm thinking the pantorouter won't be a big seller though. bit like the woodrat. ( and the fmt) but I use mine very regularly as its not tedious to use.
the picture above showing the curved m and t says that tenon would be tedious to cut with any router based " thing" simply due to the amount of wood to remove. the mortice less so. in the fmt I would try for twin m and ts. just to make less material to remove and a stronger joint obviously you have to be careful in between the 2 tenons if the space and the cutter width are similar.

This Panto does look to be a versatile machine, but looking at all the videos they all show it in use with a bigger Bosch 1617 EVS router than the Maefel which is 1000 Watts. So that Bosch is made for the American market but why not the AUK router motor, more inline with the Bosch and perhaps @Peter Sefton has some ideas.

My point about the Domino being a 'one trick pony' is that fact that it can only cut mortises .. nothing else.

It's a hugely expensive tool just to cut relatively small mortices.

Perhaps as a site tool it comes into it's own, but I just can't see the cost justification ( £1,000 + ) just to cut relatively small mortises in a workshop.
One of the points of the domino in the workshop is that it cuts mortises extremely quickly and accurately with only seconds of setup time, from picking up the domino to cutting a series of mortises is a 5 minute job. Marking out the cut positions possibly takes more time than cutting

Of course you can do the same job with other tools but if i didn’t have the domino I would not be using mortise joints and my projects would take more time or not be done at all.

it is certainly possible to put a domino slot in the wrong place but plugging the hole is fast and easy, DAMHIKT :ROFLMAO:

The Pantorouter is very versatile, the best tool I have ever used for finger joints and I find it easier to set up and use than the WoodRat for dovetails. It's primary use is mortise and tenon joints or two "Domino" mortices, both methods are much quicker than using a mortiser and cutting tenons.

The Bosch 1617 EVS has taken over in the states since Porter Cable stopped making routers.

@Spectric we have been developing and testing a new 1500W AUK router that will be used in the Pantorouter, router lifts or CNC machines. Just going through final stages of UKCA and CE testing. Should be available around Easter time.

Cheers

Peter

This Panto does look to be a versatile machine, but looking at all the videos they all show it in use with a bigger Bosch 1617 EVS router than the Maefel which is 1000 Watts. So that Bosch is made for the American market but why not the AUK router motor, more inline with the Bosch and perhaps @Peter Sefton has some ideas.

Here is a video by Marius Hornberger showing the AEG 1400 KE router in his Pantorouter build. The diameter of the AEG motor is 92mm and it is a tight fit in the Pantorouter clamps. The diameter of the AUKTools MK2 router motor is 106mm, so it won't fit.

Edit: Peter posted while I was distracted.

The Pantorouter is very versatile, the best tool I have ever used for finger joints and I find it easier to set up and use than the WoodRat for dovetails. It's primary use is mortise and tenon joints or two "Domino" mortices, both methods are much quicker than using a mortiser and cutting tenons.

The Bosch 1617 EVS has taken over in the states since Porter Cable stopped making routers.

@Spectric we have been developing and testing a new 1500W AUK router that will be used in the Pantorouter, router lifts or CNC machines. Just going through final stages of UKCA and CE testing. Should be available around Easter time.

Cheers

Peter

The Pantorouter holds the router in a circular clamp on the arm. Admittely this clamp is integral to the arm, but perhaps there should be different circular clamps to suit a variety of routers ?

This would widen the appeal of the Pantorouter to those who already have routers, instead of manufacturing new routers to fit the existing clamp size ?

The Pantorouter holds the router in a circular clamp on the arm. Admittely this clamp is integral to the arm, but perhaps there should be different circular clamps to suit a variety of routers ?
That would be a good improvement but the type of router needed is limited, a normal plunge router would not be suitable but there are motors used in CNC machines and the new AUK one could be a solution.

Hi @ChrisMa we used to stock three size collars but found then just sitting on the shelf, do you have a size in mind? Round bodied routers over 1000w are quite a rare beast in the UK.

Cheers

Peter

Sounds interesting Peter. Is there a collar for a 106mm diameter ?

I use the festool of2000 a pretty powerful router. it's the depth of the cut/ plunge that's the factor in mortice/ tenon making. the 1/2 inch carbide spirals are a superb thing and remain sharp ages. but they will flex when at depth.

Sounds interesting Peter. Is there a collar for a 106mm diameter ?

That would have been a much better solution but our 106mm AUK router would be too heavy and big for the Pantorouter, I understand the air cooled CNC spindles are also too heavy.

Cheers

Peter

The Bosch Bosch 1617 EVS weighs 11.27 pounds, or 5Kg which is no lightweight but cannot say if that is motor body only or with in in the fixed base.

Tried to work with AEG but they would not warranty anything sold in the UK
But they are happy to sell us white goods, lets boycott them !

Also interesting is this

The rights to produce AEG-branded power tools have recently been licensed to Techtronic Industries, a Hong Kong based company who also manufacture Milwaukee and Ryobi power tools. AEG tools are branded as Ridgid in America.

It is all getting very much like a fancy dress party where you really do not know what you have until it is unwrapped!

Back