Mortiser or Domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, thanks for so many reply’s and info. I have to say I’m leaning towards the domino and that’s purely because of space, if I was going to get a mortiser it would very likely have to be a bench top, the only decent one I’ve seen online is by Axminster at around £1,200.
With the domino, I’m considering getting the 700 as I can get the adapter for using smaller tenons and I’m pretty sure the larger size will come in handy for internal doors and a bed looking ahead.
+1 for the Domino 700. I previously had a bench top Mortiser but the overheads exceeded the benefits, for my situation. I have the Domino 700, plus the Sennaca adapter for small jobs. It is quick & accurate, using dominos, or just cutting mortises for traditional tenons!

I wonder if one of these would fit your requirement ? It certainly works well for me and wasn't as expensive as the smallest Domino machine.

** 1” morticer capacity, 750w motor, heavy cast iron construction, bench standing/floor standing with supplied metal floor cabinet **

I’ve been using one for several year with great success. Always there and ready to use in the workshop without taking up much space.

Draper 1" 750w 230v Bench Morticer And Stand, DRA09896 at D&M Tools

D&M have the cheapest on-line price I can find, but they are out of stock until July 2022. However, I have an unused one still in it’s original wrapper and still on it's delivery pallet ( Long story ! ).

If you’re interested let me know/PM me. I'd like to get £600 for it.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced about dominoes, but then I don't use them.
I use a biscuit jointer for sheet materials and a morticer for solid wood. They seem to cover everything I've wanted to do for the past 40 years,
I went for the Domino not necessarily because it is the best tool for joining wood but because I don't have 40 years experience, I think of the Domino as an ideal solution for those who want to level out the playing field and get closer to the pro's and also those making knockdown stuff that they need to assemble on site or the customers premises.

I’ve never used a domino, am I right in thinking that you dig out both bits of wood and put the Domino in so that you don’t have to produce a tenon? does anybody know how strong a joint that is compared to making one with a traditional tenon? Say for a chair leg, curious. Ian

I’ve never used a domino, am I right in thinking that you dig out both bits of wood and put the Domino in so that you don’t have to produce a tenon? does anybody know how strong a joint that is compared to making one with a traditional tenon? Say for a chair leg, curious. Ian
It produces a "loose tenon" joint. The domino machine cuts a mortice into each piece of wood to be joined. A domino of wood is glued into each piece to connect them together. The strength will depend on the depth and width of the domino, and how many dominos you use for the joint. On the smaller machine (DF500 - £912.00) this is limited to a domino 10mm thick and 50mm long.

It produces a "loose tenon" joint. The domino machine cuts a mortice into each piece of wood to be joined. A domino of wood is glued into each piece to connect them together. The strength will depend on the depth and width of the domino, and how many dominos you use for the joint. On the smaller machine (DF500 - £912.00) this is limited to a domino 10mm thick and 50mm long.
Thanks ChrisMa, yes it’s a bit short for a bigger joint. Would it be strong enough for a chair leg joint do you think?

Thanks ChrisMa, yes it’s a bit short for a bigger joint. Would it be strong enough for a chair leg joint do you think?
You can use several dominos together to produce a stronger joint.

I would think it would be plenty strong enough for a chair leg. Personally, I prefer a larger tenon, hence my use of a 1" mortiser ( post above )

1641042982472.png

Let's add another contender to compete with these two. I have just seen the video for the Pantorouter, for M&T's it looks like it can produce any size or shape of tenon and mortice for it to insert into but it can also do a lot more. This means it may be more cost effective because it can do more than just a loose tenon or only a mortice, ie dovetails. Not a cheap tool but looks like it can knock out joints fairly quickly and probably can do a lot more. The base package is £1340 which comparing to a Domino 500 at £1030 including box of domino's or the 700 at £1180 including box of domino's. Ok it is a workshop tool and not really portable but it also does not require buying the Domino's. It would be nice to see one in use at a woodworking show, we can but hope for 2022.

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/pantorouter-pro-package/
a video

I've seen the panto router in action at Harrogate. it's essentially similar to an mft leigh which means it will struggle with bigger stuff. wonderful on smaller stuff though. at least the df700 can do reasonable size joints and also small stuff.

johnnyb

Matthais (Pantorouter inventor) certainly appears to cut a very large tenon in this video, way above the capacity of the DF700 domino machine.

Video indexed to start just as the cut begins ...

Last edited:
johnnyb

Matthais (Pantorouter inventor) certainly appears to cut a very large tenon in this video, way above the capacity of the DF700 domino machine.

Video indexed to start just as the cut begins ...

That is very ingenious, and even better he’s shown us how to make one -almost.
I would hate for that cutter to come loose!

When the Domino was first introduced to Australia one of the Aussies made some ZigZag chairs with it so it is more than strong enough. When I was a little kid my fathers shop made Danish Modern furniture and the chairs were made with loose tenons. I have one and there is no flex or loose joints. I would love to get a Domino but as I have a Lamello, a WoodRat, table saws with dado blades and tenon jig, pocket hole jigs 😖, plus mallets and chisels, I'm covered for my hobby. If I were earning a living form woodworking I would probably have both sizes of Domino.

Pete

I made my drive gates as a bit of a test of my big domino when I first got it, was at least 6 years ago.

Plan was to cut the mortises with the Domino and tenons by hand, I soon got fed up of that so only the top rails have proper tenons, the middle and bottom rails are just fixed to the stiles with dominos (standard Beech dominos as well before I knew any better).

Each gate is about 6'x6' and they haven't moved yet despite a lack of maintenance from me. I think this shows the big domino can produce a joint strong enough for most situations.

big gates.jpg

Very nice Doug, what’s wrong with using the beech ones?
Is it that it should be the same type of wood as the frame?

Despite Beech being a hardwearing timber it is classed as non durable externally so theory is when the joints on the gates fail and water gets in the Beech dominos will quickly rot and the gates will fall apart :rolleyes: Festool do now make some dominos for external use out of Utile

I do normally make my own dominos out of whatever timber the project is made of, it just seems the right thing to do.

Evening all and a Happy New Year.
Thanks for all the input. I’ve decided to go for the Domino 700, its a lot of money to stump up but I’ve just sold an old car of mine so I’ve got got some dosh handy. I liked the fact that if I wanted to I could use it to make a mortise and then prepare the tenon in the traditional way.
Kinz, you mentioned the Seneca adapter which I was planning on using but having looked into it I saw some info about it causing problems with the gearbox on the 700 and also voiding the warranty. Just wandered if anyone had any thoughts or experience with this? Don’t want to damage such an expensive piece of kit!

...I think of the Domino as an ideal solution for those who want to level out the playing field and get closer to the pro's...
Until the pros get Dominos, that is :rolleyes:

I've been using both the DF500 and DF700 for about 5 years now, mainly site based, although sometimes on the bench. I can honestly say they have made life easier - the small one with a Seneca Domiplate speeds up plywood/MDF carcase production and makes a more rigid carcase than biscuits do, the big one has been a God send for jobs like in-situ sash window repairs as it's a bit awkward to hump a Sedgwick 7 lifts up on a scaffolding

Last edited:
I've had a domino 500 for about 15 years and I never use it.

Alright, I'll fess up. I did use it last year to make a tondo frame, but I turned through the dominoes and now I have to dig them out and fill the gap with a spruce insert.

I can't stand the damn thing.

I can't stand the damn thing.

Firstly, what dont you like? I dont have one, so this is interesting to me.
Secondly, you could flog it, they fetch high prices 2nd hand

Last edited:
making one big tenon taking minimum material off is not the same as a tenoner. also making a big mortice to suit would be a better test having to remove considerable material at depth.
I'm not slagging it off just saying it's not a morticer or a tenoner for larger work. years ago when I first had my fmt I made a garden gate with quad tenons. extremely strong but not what that machine excelled at tbh.

Back