Morticing bit \ chisel for Dominion Elliot Minor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan_Jeans

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know what the specifications are for a Mortice bit \ chisel for the Dominion Elliot Minor morticing head. I measured the bore as 13mm, and a half inch drill has a little play in it when I place it in the hole. I was thinking of a 1/2" or 3/8" bit to mortice with. Thanks in advance

Hi, does anyone know what the specifications are for a Mortice bit \ chisel for the Dominion Elliot Minor morticing head. I measured the bore as 13mm, and a half inch drill has a little play in it when I place it in the hole. I was thinking of a 1/2" or 3/8" bit to mortice with. Thanks in advance
If it's a slot morticer you need slot mortice cutters, not a drills.
This sort of thing Slot mortising bits | CMT

If it's a slot morticer you need slot mortice cutters, not a drills.
This sort of thing Slot mortising bits | CMT
Thanks Jacob. So it's a bit like a router or milling bit, with no chisel? I've never used one before - it has a fixed head and the wood is clamped on to a bed which has two levers which move the bed to control depth and width of mortice.

Thanks Jacob. So it's a bit like a router or milling bit, with no chisel? I've never used one before - it has a fixed head and the wood is clamped on to a bed which has two levers which move the bed to control depth and width of mortice.
That sounds like a slot morticer! Yes the cutter is like a long router bit and cuts a slot with round ends. Has to be left or right handed depending on the machine.

Thanks Jacob. I don't know what hand it is. I presume that is to do with the direction of rotation. I will take a look and see if it turns clockwise or anti-clockwise. I presume that, being an old machine, it will take a half inch shank, although it wasn't a very tight fit for a half inch drill, which surprised me. I should try a half inch router bit.

Latest posts

Back