mortices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon I went out to my workshop (garage) and produced 16 mortices just over the hour using an home made jig.
The setup involves clamping down stop blocks to prevent the router running past the marked up area. This involved removing s stop block between top mortice on a post and the bottom joint.
Today I produced 16 mortices in 20 minutes, I did the top joints first and kept the stop blocks fixed. When the turn came to do the bottom joints on the posts I turned the timber round and reset stop blocks.
This saved nearly 50 minutes of set up time over the 4 posts.

I still reckon a rat or other device is unnecessary to produce these joints.

devonwoody":127c55n8 said:
just over the hour using an home made jig..

How long did the jig take?

devonwoody":127c55n8 said:
The setup involves clamping down stop blocks to prevent the router running past the marked up area. This involved removing s stop block between top mortice on a post and the bottom joint.
Today I produced 16 mortices in 20 minutes, I did the top joints first and kept the stop blocks fixed. When the turn came to do the bottom joints on the posts I turned the timber round and reset stop blocks.
This saved nearly 50 minutes of set up time over the 4 posts.

I still reckon a rat or other device is unnecessary to produce these joints.

Depends, can it cope with morticing the side of a bookshelf? Can it make the tenons as well? On many jigs, you can clamp in all the pieces and tenon them in a single pass - now that does make them fast.

I believe Aragorn bought a Leigh M&T and found it very useful, especially it's twin tenon capability. Having seen one in action myself, if I was making chairs every day, I'd buy one too, and I already hav a 'rat. Given the limited number I do, my current setup is fine.

asleitch":3ey9kgu7 said:

Not really an issue Adam as it was only made once and probably took a couple of hours but then all mortices are quickly cut afterwards. Just over a minute each in this case is pretty good.

Well done Devon! :wink:

Tony":3hxvu2m0 said:
asleitch":3hxvu2m0 said:

Not really an issue Adam as it was only made once and probably took a couple of hours but then all mortices are quickly cut afterwards. Just over a minute each in this case is pretty good.

Well done Devon! :wink:

Tony I seen some of your jigs, and they'd take me a W/E to make! Given I have only limited time in the workshop, and my projects are so varied, I avoid making jigs altogether if possible as it reduces my "making" time, and for me, any jig I made (according to murphys law) would not be quite wide/long/deep/adjustable for the next project. Shop bought kit for me every time I'm afraid.

Adam

Sounds good, DW. Not sure where the 'Rat comes into it though. Heck, a router isn't necessary to cut those joints when you think about it. At least I'm assuming you used a router, not your teeth? :wink:

Adam, you've got to stop taking the bait, dude! :roll: Let them wallow in their ignorance. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Is it possible for a pic of that there jig fella, going to be cutting a few mortices myself over the next few days......

SimonA

Alf":2fwp7sth said:
Adam, you've got to stop taking the bait, dude! :roll: Let them wallow in their ignorance. :lol:
Cheers, Alf

Well, keeps me occupied. :roll:

Adam

MORTICE JIG PICTURES

To Simon A Go to my webpage. http://homepages.tesco.net/john.jt

I have posted three pics of the Jig which probably took 2 hours to make about 3 months ago. Since that time I have made over 300 mortices using the same jig.
I mark one piece of timber with a centre line down the mortice, and then place a centre point in mortice ( a counter sink bit will do) and place the bit on my centre line. Set the jig fences with the wing nuts. Then set the stop blocks (handscrews) and I can now produce 16 mortices in 20 minutes.
I notice none of the rats have said they can beat that. :lol:

devonwoody":1td8cnk4 said:

No, I don't think we could, a dedicated jig, is always going to be fast, and it looks like you have a good router too (in addition to a nice jig :wink: ).

One thing, the pictures seem a bit "blocky" to me, have you compressed them hard?

Adam

devonwoody":3syh39tj said:

Hell - I have a dedicated bench morticer, and don't think I could beat that! Of course, my mortices end up with square corners!

devonwoody":3vu2xeav said:
Hmm, have I got a 'Rat missing the voice box feature...? :roll: As a 'Ratter :wink: I can only ask one thing: John, were you bitten on the ankle by a WoodRat when you were a baby or summat? You seem mightily preoccupied with 'em. :?

S'funny you should pick mortises really. How about your time for twin tenons? Sliding dovetails for a pedestal table? Compound M&T joints? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. No, Adam, I've got nothing better to do either :lol:

Alf":39yqm8pp said:
John, were you bitten on the ankle by a WoodRat when you were a baby or summat?

I was bitten by a radioactive Woodrat when I was in my cradle and as a result can chew 16 mortises in ten seconds with my teeth - mind you, I file them regularly - and you'd love my smile in the dark.

I APOLOGISE

Sorry I have stirred up all the woodratters, and I will now admit my jig would not produce some of the joints mentioned above.
However as a dedicated jig, I think it takes some beating and no tear out.
I do the first cut very lightly about 1mm or less then plunge as deeply as I dare after that. (very deeply to get the 16 in 20 minutes :D )
Thanks all for the interest and if details of jig are requested I will gladly oblige.

devonwoody":2t5zyogp said:
I APOLOGISE

Sorry I have stirred up all the woodratters, and I will now admit my jig would not produce some of the joints mentioned above.
However as a dedicated jig, I think it takes some beating and no tear out.
I do the first cut very lightly about 1mm or less then plunge as deeply as I dare after that. (very deeply to get the 16 in 20 minutes :D )
Thanks all for the interest and if details of jig are requested I will gladly oblige.

I think dedicated jigs are great personally, just have not enough space in my workshop to store my wood/projects in progress, never mind extra jigs, for once-in-a-blue-moon use. I'd definately put up details of the jig if you can, as they always provide plenty of hints and ideas.

Adam

Devonwoody,
Darn technology
I followed your link but only found some pics of rather nice garden furniture. Where are the jig pics ? :?

To SimonA
My router is the Triton, its a 3 1/2hp job with 1/2" shaft. There are quite a few write ups bout this model now. It's good.

Sorry Learner Les
the jig pics have gone from the site but Asleitch has requested details of the jig as well so I will post a new thread with pics and drawings very shortly.

Hi fella.....I saw which router you wher using from your pics, but I was wondering what kind of cutter you where using in the router?

Cheers

SimonA

To Simona

Its a round one :lol:

No seriously, 10mm double flute with cutting tips and its the only 10mm Ive got, came in a cheap box set from Axminster.

I will try to do an article on the jig and router before the weekend and post as a separate thread.

Latest posts

Back