Morticer Shortage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodist

Reaction score
hi all, I am trying to buy a Morticer with a sliding bed, and they seem to all be out of stock or some discontinued, like the record power. have they never been that popular, or is it that they are all made by the same manufacturer, and they might come back into stock?

The only one I can find is this, and I don't recognise the make, or trust it as a good one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25450316...m1fPK58rSHYlJ6NF6rwaAr4rEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks for any tips.

There is a second hand Record on e-bay at present for £500. I'm not sure if the price is good, but I know the morticer is. I've owned one of the same model, bought 2nd hand about 30 years ago. It says 1" capacity, but I've found 3/4" is the limit, with the ability to cut 1/2" all day. It is heavier than you think and was I think labelled as the Startrite 75. I have at times thought about upgrading to a Sedgwick, but why bother, it's served me faultlessly.

Colin

That does look good, but my shed is quite small, so would need something that is benchtop.

Thanks Colin

hi all, I am trying to buy a Morticer with a sliding bed, and they seem to all be out of stock or some discontinued, like the record power. have they never been that popular, or is it that they are all made by the same manufacturer, and they might come back into stock?

The only one I can find is this, and I don't recognise the make, or trust it as a good one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25450316...m1fPK58rSHYlJ6NF6rwaAr4rEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks for any tips.

That's a record copy.

My mate has one in his joinery shop....I've spent a whole day trying to get it fettled.....to no avail.

The problem is, the distance from the fence to the chisel moves - set it up spot on and do a mortice: that's great. Then put another piece in and the setting has changed.

I don't know the problem but I think the dovetail slides are just too short....or maybe it's a Friday afternoon machine.

That's a record copy.

My mate has one in his joinery shop....I've spent a whole day trying to get it fettled.....to no avail.

The problem is, the distance from the fence to the chisel moves - set it up spot on and do a mortice: that's great. Then put another piece in and the setting has changed.

I don't know the problem but I think the dovetail slides are just too short....or maybe it's a Friday afternoon machine.
That's good to know, as when in use I would be doing batches, and that would drive me crazy. This one I will avoid.

Seen this on Facebook market place earlier
Screenshot_20210419-235115_Facebook.jpg

In Worcester area, £250

Has anyone got or had experience with the Charnwood benchtop morticer? w316 was the model if I recall right. I know that will be available from July...

You do not need to use the Morticer on a cabinet. Mine used to be sited on a bench top bolted to the wall with a prop leg underneath. I now have it on the cabinet base, but this is on castors, as is all of my machinery. I can wheel everything around to where I need it and work in a smaller floor are than you would expect.

Colin

I have an old ( 1970s I guess ) Wadkin EDA and it actually has a fairly small footprint, perhaps you could squeeze one in. I put wheels on mine.
It is very superior to my previous Record bm16 which was only just adequate with a tiny chisel in softwood if you put a 12mm chisel and some Oak in there it wasn`t having any of it.
Looks exactly like the one in your link, I wouldn`t pay fifty quid for it.
For the price of the machine you are looking at you will get much, much better with a second hand Multico, Sedgewick, Wadkin, Cooksley etc. Its finding single phase that can be tricky, if you have 3 phase you can get better bargains.

Ollie

Last edited:
Has anyone got or had experience with the Charnwood benchtop morticer? w316 was the model if I recall right. I know that will be available from July...
Glad I didn't just post after reading the first post as my initial thought ,which I was tempted to share, was I've never heard of a brand called "Vevor" before but I do recognise the machine as it looks identical to my Charnwood W316... Not really used it a huge amount but didn't have an issue with the fence moving although did find the chisels that came with mine weren't as sharp as they needed to be (was not correctly equipped at the time to sharpen them) and found it made it fairly hard going. Quality wise the plastic Bristol levers that are used to set the limit of travel are a bit naff and fragile but other than that it will do the job.

The record power one(BM16), which I think is identical to the axminster one, which ax have stopped doing(bums)
The axminster has a 2ndry block that fitted under the main support and raised the entire machine up another 50mm.
The maximum height is 120mm, and obviously the block raised that to a better 170mm.
This is the block
https://www.axminstertools.com/aw16...dium=affiliates&utm_content=1795&glCountry=GB
As long as the other generic machines are identical, you could probably buy the block from ax and retro fit it to a different machine.

Glad I didn't just post after reading the first post as my initial thought ,which I was tempted to share, was I've never heard of a brand called "Vevor" before but I do recognise the machine as it looks identical to my Charnwood W316... Not really used it a huge amount but didn't have an issue with the fence moving although did find the chisels that came with mine weren't as sharp as they needed to be (was not correctly equipped at the time to sharpen them) and found it made it fairly hard going. Quality wise the plastic Bristol levers that are used to set the limit of travel are a bit naff and fragile but other than that it will do the job.
So it would appear that the companies all buy them from one manufacturer, with some small differences - which would explain why there are no new ones available at the moment...

So it would appear that the companies all buy them from one manufacturer, with some small differences - which would explain why there are no new ones available at the moment...
Yep. Just painted different colours. There is also slight differences in quality control.
Axminster, Charnwood, Fox, Sealey, some Scheppach ,etc etc all have almost identical stuff.

Mine was from Poolewood many years ago. Probably Chinese. Very heavy and excellent to use. Up to 3/4"
Same as this one on Ebay at the moment. 3 phase but only £150 so far. (Not mine I hasten to add, nothing to do with me!)

I've never tried a small morticer and wonder if they've been replaced by domino, biscuit machines etc

Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 08.56.44.png

The only little bench top morticer I have used that Ive liked is the Multico -its very solid. It has no sliding table though, but fine for a hobbyist

The joinery company I ran had a Wadkin DM -we upgraded from a Sedgwick

Ive used both floor standing Sedgwick and Multico machines -both work great

The Multico comes up quite often for sale -theres always one for sale on facebook marketplace.

Multico and Sedgwick are only floor standing machines because the sit on a cabinet base -both could be benchtop machines -although they arent really moveable.

Morticing needs a solid machine, there are high stresses involved

Mine was from Poolewood many years ago. Probably Chinese. Very heavy and excellent to use. Up to 3/4"
Same as this one on Ebay at the moment. 3 phase but only £150 so far. (Not mine I hasten to add, nothing to do with me!)

I've never tried a small morticer and wonder if they've been replaced by domino, biscuit machines etc

View attachment 108721
thats a great machine because it has adjustable table height and can be angled

Back