Morticer Shortage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only little bench top morticer I have used that Ive liked is the Multico -its very solid. It has no sliding table though, but fine for a hobbyist

The joinery company I ran had a Wadkin DM -we upgraded from a Sedgwick

Ive used both floor standing Sedgwick and Multico machines -both work great

The Multico comes up quite often for sale -theres always one for sale on facebook marketplace.

Multico and Sedgwick are only floor standing machines because the sit on a cabinet base -both could be benchtop machines -although they arent really moveable.

Morticing needs a solid machine, there are high stresses involved
Thanks Robin.

Mine was from Poolewood many years ago. Probably Chinese. Very heavy and excellent to use. Up to 3/4"
Same as this one on Ebay at the moment. 3 phase but only £150 so far. (Not mine I hasten to add, nothing to do with me!)

I've never tried a small morticer and wonder if they've been replaced by domino, biscuit machines etc

View attachment 108721
That tilting table is awesome, but 3 phase :(

Awsome thanks. What do you think?

I bought a Japanese 16mm chisel and bit for it and have been cutting mortise in beech and oak. The first cut is tough but slow even pressure sorts that. Once you're in it chomps away happily.

It's definitely needs secured. I've bolted it onto a solid worktop as a base which can then be clamped to my bench. Once secured its grand. Minimal set up time, smooth travel, relatively quiet operation, adjustable handle. I think it's great. If I was cutting mortises every week I might want a bigger machine, but it's compact, capable and with using it for maybe 100 mortises a year it'll last for aaaaaaaaages.

D

That's a record copy.

My mate has one in his joinery shop....I've spent a whole day trying to get it fettled.....to no avail.

The problem is, the distance from the fence to the chisel moves - set it up spot on and do a mortice: that's great. Then put another piece in and the setting has changed.

I don't know the problem but I think the dovetail slides are just too short....or maybe it's a Friday afternoon machine.
replace one of the adjustment screws with a longer one that has a handle so you can lock it.

Back