Morticer Machine Chisel help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rog

Established Member
Reaction score
HI, I have a scheppach morticer which i am fairly happy with, i bought a couple of chisels for it which cost me about a tennor each. I thought this was too cheap. When I try to mortice even with a 10mm chiesl the machine really struggles and i have resorted to pre drilling a hole first. this seems to help bu the chisel tends to wander off square as i plunge.
I was baminster cat and found the chisel section, they do three grades, tiawan - for about a tennor - which i guess i have, japanese for about 30 quid and english for about 70 quid....

Does anyone know the difference in the chisels, apart from price and will the more expensive one reward me with results?

Any advice is much appreciated..

rog

Hi Rog,

Some'll say get Clico's, I have the Jap ones and they're very good for the money. Clicos are twice the price but I personally can't see that they could be twice as good.

The Chiawaneese ones are fit - but only for the scrap bin.

cheers,

Ike

(First ever broadband post 8) Wow! it's so fast!

rog":3cksp2kq said:
... i bought a couple of chisels for it which cost me about a tennor each. I thought this was too cheap....
Certainly was, Roger

From experience, go for either the Japanese or Clicos (or any old stock Ridgways, if you see them). The Chinese/Taiwanese don't hold an edge AT ALL and burn too easily. The best all round are probably the Japs - they have TWO chip exhaust ports rather than the English one, so they clear out a bit better. Either way get a sharpening tool and some stone slips/auger files for them, they need to be properly maintained.

Scrit

Roger,

As Scrit says ref the Jap ones, they also have just one cutting spur & single spiral on the bit to help even more with disposal.

If you looking for a sharpening set Axminster have a new one available at a reasonable cost, cetainly compared to Clico offering.here

Hi Rog,I am also happy with the Japanese chisels from Axminster, but do remember that they come with a 13/16" shank and not 3/4" as does the Taiwan/China ones.
Does the mort machine come with two bushes ?

Cheers

hi, the machine came with a couple of bushes so I should be ok. I will try one of the Japanese onese from axminster I think, they sound like they maybe worth a go.

cheers

Back