Morticer chuck help please....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karl
Is there room for a chuck on the end of that "lump of steel" with out fouling the chisel holder? it looks a bit tight to me.

don't know where to get sleeves from but they shouldn't be more than the cost of a chuck with fitting. try a good tool shop/saw docter

Karl:

I had to go back and look, but here's your mortiser:
2012-01-26082258.jpg

From here, it looks fairly small.

First, I think you need to take the head off, remove the chisel assembly and clean everything up in there. It should not be too bad of a job.

Second, get some measurements when it's all clean and apart. At that point, you can decide whether you want to go with collets or a chuck, and whether the available collets will fit.

Kirk

Somebody over on the other side has confirmed that the machine is in its original state, and that there would have been collets to suit different sized drill shanks. So it appears that Olly's machine has been modified to accept the chuck

I have contact details of somebody should be able to supply them, so looks like i'll be going that route. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Karl

A big thanks to Tom(atwark). He pm'd me with an offer of a couple of spare bushes which he had no need for.

They arrived today, and fit perfectly.

2012-03-30132809.jpg

They were off a Sedgwick machine, but as my machine is very similair, they're just the job - the holes allow for the grub screw to pass through and clamp onto the drill shank.

Cheers Tom :eek:ccasion5:

Karl

Well my mortice chisels arrived today, and have thrown up a fresh problem.

The drill shanks don't match the diameter of the holes in the bushes. The largest diameter is 6.4mm, whereas the drill shanks are 7.1 and 9.4mm. This wouldn't matter if I had a chuck on the morticer.

The only thing I can think of (aside from going to Plan A of fitting a chuck) is to enlarge the internal diameter of the drill bushes. I have a cheap (Ferm) pillar drill - do you think this will be upto the task? Also, where can I source drill bits in those increments? Or would near enough do? (9/32" and 3/8").

Cheers

Karl

NO. Don't try to drill them out. Your bits will inevitably be off center and rub on the inside of the chisel. If you can find a home shop machinist, he should be able to make you some.

Here are a couple of threads on OWWM.org about making them:
http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64386
http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96486
Note that the first one is from 2009, so the ones he made are long since sold out. But maybe this will provide some clues on how to do it.

Kirk

Karl

We had a machine that took the same colletts I sent you at a company I used to work for and the Japanese chisels and augers from Axminster fit.

If you look in the catalogue you will see the auger sizes are imperial eg the 3/8 chisel takes a 1/4 auger or 6.35mm in metric.

You will need to source a collet for a 1/2 chisel though as that was the one I had not got.

Although they will be expensive I would suspect Sedgwick will sell them as there as still a lot of the older machines about.

Hope this helps

Tom

They look similar to the Multico collets. If you get stuck you could give them a ring:

Multico SARL
15 Rue des Alouettes
St Remy
France

Tel: 0033 385 486 672 Fax: 0033 385 486 913

English spoken. I found them helpful.

Back