Mortice machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks thinking of getting a bench mortice machine looked around some sites some prices. They are asking more money for a used model I don’t want to spend a load it’s only to potter about was wondering if @ny of you. Guys may just have one to sell would have to get courier New or second hand not going to use a lot of if it was new what make. Model would be recommended Cheers any advice just can’t decide thanks

I am curious, what is the difference between dovetail column & single / twin?

Dovetail slideways as a machine element have several advantages:

• Increased Rigidity.
  • Not susceptible to parallelism errors during setup/adjustment/from being knocked or transported.
  • Adjustable for wear to maintain a good fit with no slop.
  • Simplicity of assembly and adjustment.
  • Generally produced from Cast Iron (which has particularly good vibration damping characteristics for machine tool use).
  • Less susceptible to being disabled by minor corrosion/damage.
They're also a bit more complex to manufacture, so tend to come from manufacturers who have put at least some level of thought into the design of their equipment.

By contrast round column slideways in woodworking machines tend to be produced using ground bar and pot-metal castings with drilled holes... You can of course produce extremely accurate and reliable round slideways, but not like that.

I have a Rexon SM16a morticer that's about twenty years old now, I don't use it often, but it's done everything I've asked of it. It was about £200 new, hasn't the moving table, but has the dovetail column with gib strips. A very nice bit of kit for what it cost, they're worth looking out for.

Actually I have one for sale ! It's an Axminster (something like the AC16BM). I bought a nice Japanese chisel and it worked well !
Didn't use it much (was bought when living in a flat to minimize the noise). Since then chopping by hand 🙂
Let me know if that would interest you and if Stafford isn't too far from you...

Back