Mortice Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris72

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody
Where can I buy quality morticing machine chisels upto possibly 1" and the equipment to sharpen them?
Cheers
Chris

Now, I don't doubt the quality of these chisels whatsoever - I've been using the very same ones at college for the best part of three years now.

But £15 a go is a little steep, I've always felt. In a world of morticing machines, routers and the like, how often are we really going to have the need for a good old mortice chisel when a half-decent mortiser can be bought for less than £100 now?

Maybe it's different for people with money to spend; maybe it's not. I'll just keep my eyes open on eBay or for any second hand tool shops I may happen to come across. :wink:

Oswaldo!":pimod8vy said:
But £15 a go is a little steep
Chuckle. You didn't look at the Clico prices then... :lol:

BTW, these are for morticing machines. I don't only answer hand tool queries. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Well...

Perhaps another woodworker will happen to 'accidentally' glance across this topic and maybe my input will be of some use then....

:oops:

Oswaldo!":1uw76xcu said:
...how often are we really going to have the need for a good old mortice chisel when a half-decent mortiser can be bought for less than £100 now?

Maybe it's different for people with money to spend; maybe it's not. I'll just keep my eyes open on eBay or for any second hand tool shops I may happen to come across. :wink:
It's no different whether one has money to spend or not. A cheap morticer kind of needs the chisels to work.

If you don't do many mortices have you considered buying a couple used, decent mortice chisels and doing them by hand? Certainly easier than it sounds.

Take care, Mike

Oswaldo, as assumptions go, it wasn't that wide of the mark. :D I don't have a mortiser and do use mortice chisels. But they are "previously owned" oval bolstered ones that cost me much less than £15 a pop - unlike these ones! :shock: Truth is I use the router to cut them more often than I care to admit. :whistle:

Cheers, Alf

Alf

Frankly I'm shocked :shock: , nay apalled that you didn't put the young whipper-snapper in his place and suggest a REAL mortising machine, powered only by human muscle (i.e. a "bumper") :lol:

Scrit

I know, Scrit; must be going soft in me old age. :roll: Just to redeem myself, here's one I drooled over at the Finch Foundry a couple of years ago:

finchmortiser.jpg

finchmortisertoo.jpg

Cheers, Alf

I've seen a few of those go for less than a mortice chisel on ebay.

Chris72":30ui5lnt said:
Where do you plug it in????????
You don't - all it needs is three Shreddies for breakfast :lol: . Much better than a Bullworker for building muscles - had one in my first shop years back (in truth it came with the shop!), though not for long! That's why I'm still a 14 stone weakling :roll:

Scrit

Scrit":2oigzasb said:
Much better than a Bullworker for building muscles Scrit

"Xmas Bells" :roll: Now there's a blast from the past. You needed 3 shredded wheat for breakfast before you could even pick it up :D :D :D :D

Back